PDA

View Full Version : Circles.

Johnny Taylor
10-07-2012, 4:22 AM
I don't post for months then I do two on the same day!!:rolleyes:

'Circles' is Sycamore lidded form decorated with pyrographed circles and dyed a burnt orange colour. The 'finial' (for want of a better word) is a 3d representation of the 2d circle decorations. It has an oil finish. If you are interested you can read much more about it, including a WIP on how I made the form before decorating it on my blog, its linked in my profile. :)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/circlesandgoldrim008.jpg

Sid Matheny
10-07-2012, 6:37 PM
I really like it as it has an Aztec feel to it. Thumbs up from me!

Sid

Ron Stadler
10-07-2012, 6:43 PM
Yep me too, I really love this one. Nice Work.

Richard Madden
10-07-2012, 8:52 PM
Well done, I like it! I'll have to check out your blog and see the WIP.

Mike Cruz
10-07-2012, 9:24 PM
Okay, circles aside, I love the form of the vessel.

I think the circles add a nice touch. Having them burnt in like that, adds texture. Again, I like it. The topper (I've heard of finials that aren't "chess pieces" being called toppers) being a circle is very fitting...a traditional finial would have fit. I say this topper or none at all. I'm usually not a big fan of dying/coloring wood, but since you chose a natural wood color (I would say it looks like cherry), I'm okay with that. Nicely done. I'm sure/hoping you're proud of this one!

Tim Rinehart
10-08-2012, 8:01 AM
I like everything about this piece. Don't know what else to say...very creative piece. I enjoy looking at the lines of each circle, I'm sure it's one of the pieces a person just has to look over in it's entirety to get full effect.

David C. Roseman
10-08-2012, 9:32 AM
Nice piece, Johnny. Good blog, as well. Thanks for posting the "how to." Also like your DIY chain saw mill earlier in your blog. :cool: Is that still working well for you?

David

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2012, 9:57 AM
That's different! Great form and I really like the overlapping design you have created! Nice!!

Scott Hackler
10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Very nice. The topper really suits and adds to the piece.

Jim Burr
10-08-2012, 6:59 PM
Great curves Johnny...but how big is it?

Baxter Smith
10-08-2012, 9:06 PM
Very nice design and a unique look!

Doug W Swanson
10-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Beautiful! The burning goes so well with the color of the wood. Great job!

Johnny Taylor
10-09-2012, 7:09 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments:)

Nice piece, Johnny. Good blog, as well. Thanks for posting the "how to." Also like your DIY chain saw mill earlier in your blog. :cool: Is that still working well for you?

David

It sure is David:) I have since then had to extend it though and add a second clamp at the end as I bought a bigger better chainsaw, a shiny new Husqvarna that makes slabbing the trunks so much easier!

Great curves Johnny...but how big is it?

Jim I hadn't measured it...lol.. It is 8" tall with the topper.