PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT 16 vs Hammer N4400

John Kali
10-07-2012, 2:18 AM
I am speaking of the "budget" laguna saw, not the heavy duty one. For all intensive purposes the Hammer seems to have better features. Larger table, bigger motor, bigger fly wheels, foot brake is standard, gears for the tilt. Really, the thing the Laguna has that I desire is the guides. Are the guides worth it, or should I go for the Hammer and buy the laguna guides when my budget allows? Will they even make that big of a difference?

I plan on this being a general purpose saw, and will use it for a little bit of everything.

Thanks for any and all help! John K

ian maybury
10-07-2012, 7:45 AM
Don't have knowledge of the Laguna saw, but the Hammer gets very good reviews as a generously built and powered saw.

You can normally retrofit guides IF you find they are needed, but it's a lot less straightforward to retrofit a weak frame, lightweight band wheels, weak tension adjustment and the like. That's what i'd be looking at. i.e. I'd set out to establish I wasn't exchanging these fundamentals for blingier stuff...

ian

Jay Rasmussen
10-07-2012, 12:23 PM
John,

I’ve got the LT18 3000. All in all a very nice saw for the money but I don’t care much for the guides. I’ve probably only changed blades 15 times or so but to me there guide setup is a pain.

I liked the guide setup on my old delta 14” a lot better. Super easy and worked well.

Jay

Stephen Cherry
10-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Can't beat the crew at Felder in Deleware. In my experience, they have been super responsive.

John Kali
10-07-2012, 8:04 PM
Thanks, I think ill just stick with my original choice and go with the Hammer. Though, it will probably not be untill after the hollidays.

Mike Heidrick
10-07-2012, 8:34 PM
If wanted you can add the guides.