PDA

View Full Version : GIP Gloat in Progress

Brian Brown
10-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I am currently at the Yellowstone Wood Turning Symposium. A small group, with two presenters. I spent the whole day watching Malcolm Tibbetts present, and tomorrow will be more of Malcolm, and Sam Angelo, from Wyoming. Sam is dong a presentation on thread chasing, and a special dying technique. LOML came with me, and tomorrow we have to split up and go to separate presentations. I wasn't sure what it would be like, but so far it has been great. It doesn't hurt that I won one of two grand prizes in the door prize drawing; a $100 gift certificate, and a set of acrylic pen blanks. There is some amazing work here in the gallery, both Malcolm's, and some of the local Montana folks. Glad I didn't bring any of my own. I would have been embarrassed. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Rick Markham
10-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Brian, that sounds like an excellent time. Sam has some really super nice dyed pieces, it should be an interesting demo!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Brian.....Congratulations! Where is it being held?

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Congrats Brian. Sounds like a great time.

Brian Brown
10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Ken,

It was held in Billings MT. I just got home. I didn't see Sam's presentation, because somehow plane reservations got changed, and the order of presentations got changed. SWMBO went and took notes. Seeing Malcolm's presentation was great. Even though I have memorized his book and videos, he helped fill in some blanks, and had a few new updates on how he does things, including, believe it or not, not sanding segments. :eek: Not Malcolm! :eek::D Anyway, I've never seen so many door prizes in my life, or won so many. They wanted to be sure they had enough for everybody to win something, but somebody didn't know when to stop. Everybody got 2, and some including me got 3. SWMBO won a Crown 1.25" roughing gouge, and some RUS's. While many of you think that would be rodents of unusual size, it is really redwoods of unusual size. The best part besides going with my wife, was getting to see (and touch) some of Malcolm's work close up in person. He is very personable and never tired of answering questions.