PDA

View Full Version : Sealing wood from water

Matthew N. Masail
10-06-2012, 4:12 PM
I'm in the process of building a sharpening station and It's time to make the water stone holders. I'd like to use pine to save other wood (which I don't have much of) for real stuff, but I don't want it to rot and go gray.
I was thinking of using 3-4 coats of CA glue, but I don't know if that will do the trick. what do you suggest I do?

P.S
I found a 46 grit white wheel and single point diamond dresser here in Israel, it just took a few phone calls.

Bill White
10-06-2012, 4:23 PM
One of the FEW time I would suggest poly. Even an epoxy might work.
Shalom, Matt.
Bill

Jonathan McCullough
10-06-2012, 4:45 PM
A cheap cutting board from ikea would do the trick.

Matthew N. Masail
10-06-2012, 4:49 PM
I would really like to use the pine, I just think I'll enjoy the presence of real wood more. CA won't work? if I get poly, than 2-3 coats?

Matthew N. Masail
10-06-2012, 5:43 PM
K I put two pieces in a cup of water, one coated with 3X CA glue the other plain, we'll see what happens. Advice still wellcome

Paul Incognito
10-06-2012, 6:06 PM
My sharpening bench is douglas fir with 2 coats of poly. I probably should have done 3 coats, but I was in a hurry to get it finished. It's about 6 months old and holding up fine. I have no idea how Ca glue would hold up.

Matthew N. Masail
10-06-2012, 6:14 PM
Thanks Paul, that's a really nice unit! + a ton of storage.. I should build something like your top unit. I'm only looking to protect to stone holder, the rest is fine.

Brent VanFossen
10-06-2012, 8:35 PM
I made my water stone holders from pine and coated them with three layers of polyurethane. They're about a year old and holding up well.

Paul Incognito
10-07-2012, 8:46 AM
Thanks Matt.
Everything there is made with reclaimed materials. The cabinet is resawn red pine beams, the top is douglas fir floor joists and the pine for the shelves above were salvaged. Cheap lumber is good, but free is much better.
Paul

Stanley Covington
11-06-2012, 3:40 AM
The slickest solution (but not the cheapest) I have seen is to cover the station with copper sheeting, bent at the edges and soldered to form a shallow watertight container. The cool thing about copper is that, even if water gets trapped underneath it, oxidized copper is poisonous and so retards the growth of mold and mildew, and perhaps even the consumption of warm beer.

Stan

Chris Griggs
11-06-2012, 5:58 AM
For ultimate water protection look up some information on boat building. Wooden boats are covered in a layer of fiber glass and epoxy. Tom Fidgen made a drawer in his sharpening bench that he lined with this. He keeps it filled with water for soaking his stones.

http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/a-dedicated-sharpening-bench-part-8.html

Paul Saffold
11-06-2012, 8:44 AM
Plastic laminate, like Formica, will work, too. Just make sure any seams are really tight. Also the substrate should be really flat.
Paul

Casey Gooding
11-06-2012, 8:48 AM
Epoxy will certainly do the job. When I used to build kayaks, we coated the inside and outside in epoxy before varnishing. Use several coats, brush on carefully and sand relatively smooth between.

Jack Curtis
11-06-2012, 7:24 PM
Epoxy sure will. That plus white Marine paint is what I used to make a wooden darkroom sink waterproof 30 years ago. A friend still uses it.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-06-2012, 8:27 PM
Ran across a mention of this the other day:

http://books.google.com/books?id=jPYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=frank+klausz+sharpening+pond&source=bl&ots=0C8aPzEQh9&sig=c48LncKVrmIvuBMbWrJGo8M8W-U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PLWZUNnmEc-v0AHMvYDgCg&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=frank%20klausz%20sharpening%20pond&f=false

(If the link doesn't pop up in the same place in the magazine that it does for me, look for Frank Klausz' article on a sharpening pond.) I've seen the "wooden gasket" technique used before, but never tried it myself.

We were thinking of picking up some solid-surface countertop material from a place that sells scraps to redo one of our small kitchen counters. Since we'd have to buy more adhesive for bonding the backsplash than we'd actually need, if we went that route, I'm tempted to make some waterstone accessories if we go that route. ..

Jim Matthews
11-06-2012, 9:42 PM
My sharpening bench is douglas fir with 2 coats of poly. I probably should have done 3 coats, but I was in a hurry to get it finished. It's about 6 months old and holding up fine. I have no idea how Ca glue would hold up.

Where is all the sawdust? Where are the offcuts too small to be of any earthly use?
Where are all the "someday" projects.

I find it inconceivable that someone could make their finest work, in such a sterile environment.
It's cleaner than most of the surgeries I've visited...

Next Nor'Easter comes through, I'm leaving my windows open.

Paul Incognito
11-09-2012, 4:21 PM
Thanks for noticing, Jim.
All of the sawdust producers are behind me in this pic. Believe me, my shop is definitely not a "sterile environment."
And there are buckets full of the offcuts you speak of.

Where is all the sawdust? Where are the offcuts too small to be of any earthly use?
Where are all the "someday" projects.

I find it inconceivable that someone could make their finest work, in such a sterile environment.
It's cleaner than most of the surgeries I've visited...

Next Nor'Easter comes through, I'm leaving my windows open.

Sam Murdoch
11-09-2012, 4:41 PM

Wow, Paul, I would love to be able to have a dedicated corner as you have. Very nice. I just don't have the room.

As for sealing pine from water - either saturate it with something like West System epoxy or just tung oil until it absorbs no more and plan on redoing it after a few years.

Wow Paul :cool: :(

Walter Boatwright
11-09-2012, 5:41 PM
Arm-R-Seal Marine