PDA

View Full Version : Birch Countertop Pix

Walt Pater
04-16-2005, 10:07 PM
This started as a workbench top, then was turned into a countertop for some folks. The technique I used was described in the FWW Tools & Shops issue from 2003. Lots of time to practice the cabinet scraper. It's finished with tung oil and wax. Thanks for looking

Roy Wall
04-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Beautiful job Walt....looks superb!!!

any more detail how you flattened and scraped it???

Jason Tuinstra
04-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Walt, very nice looking top in a very nice looking kitchen. Can you explain a bit how you joined the wood at the 90? Wouldn't seasonal movement be an issue?

Walt Pater
04-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Roy: I ripped 8/4 birch, jointed and planed the pieces, turned them on edge, and glued them up in 11" sections using cauls to keep it flat (top photo). Once dry I put the 11" sections though the planer. I then glued the two 11" sections together, using biscuits to aid alignment. The resulting wide piece had a bit of a ridge in spots, which only needed some scraping to remove. I also didn't trust myself to plane it. (When it went from workbench top to kitchen piece, I got SLIGHTLY more uptight)
Jason: thanks for noticing the rest of the kitchen (what little you can see) The doors in the back are three 11' tall Mahogany (jambs and doors) beasts which were a bear to hang, align and center. But about the 90: the long piece is tongued to fit into a slot cut along the mating piece, like a breadboard. The edge band is also slotted. The two pieces of the 'L' aren't glued together- I used a couple of pocket screws. About movement: yes, it's going to move, but I that is the edge grain side up, which I understand does not move as much as face grain (tangental vs. radial expansion). I also sealed the underside w/ two coats shellac, then finshed the top/sides with three applications of tung oil, then wax. I did warn the client about movement, who understood the implications of seasonal movement. I will be back at this site on and off through the Summer, and will keep an eye on it's movement.

Roy Wall
04-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks Walt....

Again - super job!!

Joe Mioux
04-17-2005, 12:42 AM
This started as a workbench top, then was turned into a countertop for some folks. The technique I used was described in the FWW Tools & Shops issue from 2003. Lots of time to practice the cabinet scraper. It's finished with tung oil and wax. Thanks for looking

THat issue was the one that put me over the top and caused me to start buying real woodworking tools. It was the issue that caused me to stop (curtail) reading and start doing.

Joe

Kelly C. Hanna
04-17-2005, 1:12 AM
Looks great!!!

Jim Becker
04-17-2005, 9:29 AM
Wow, that's gorgeous, Walt! Beautiful action in that wood, too...

Brian Hale
04-17-2005, 9:31 AM
SWEET!!!! I really like the grain!

Brian

Mark Singer
04-17-2005, 9:34 AM
Walt,

Great job! I love the dark cabinets and wood counters... Great work

Earl Kelly
04-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Walt, How did you end up with just one Hargrave bar clamp? I couldn't get along without mine I have about 30 from 3'-8'. Nice job on the countertop I like the look of a good birch, especially Flamed.

lou sansone
04-17-2005, 11:35 AM
very nice job

I did a top for my workbench and it did not come out as nice as yours did. good work.

lou

Walt Pater
04-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Lou, had it become a workbench top it wouldn't have received the extra attention. The figure in the birch was a surprise for me (I've never worked w/figured woods), and it really leapt out when I applied the finish. That started a real craving in me that I am trying to ignore (don't want to fall down yet another slippery slope).
Earl: The bar clamp belongs to the fellow I share the shop space with. I would love to have 30 or so. Yet another slippery slope.
Anybody notice the Bowling Alley Lane? (First picture- see the mark for the pin?) It's edge grain maple, and my new workbench top, since I went and sold the one I was making.

Jim VanBramer
04-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Do ya think they'd mind if you hung a vise off the end of it??? ;)
Ya know, just for those special times when you just might need one in the kitchen (you just never know)!!!
Just a thought! :D

Jim V

Alan Turner
04-17-2005, 8:51 PM
I am in the process (nearly done, actually) of building a pair of workbenches out of old 12/3 birch, and it has held stable and worked nicely. Not as heavy as hard maple, but still quite nice.
I'll post when they are done. Put a few accents in as well: some East Indian dividers/supports for the back board (behind the tool well) and olive on the tail vise. These will have a vise or two. One is a commission; the other for my new teaching studio. We both elected to go with the Noden Adust-A Bench legs, so I'll let you know how they work for a somewhat neander guy.

Todd Burch
04-17-2005, 9:27 PM
Nice looking countertop Walt! That's some fine looking birch. I like working with birch, but most of the time I paint it.

I've been a fan for some time now of mixing painted with natural wood. It can be elegant. That will be a nice looking kitchen.

Todd

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 8:49 AM
Wow I really like that counter top! When we do our kitchen, I would love to build the countertops! Don't know if I have loml convinced yet though.