PDA

View Full Version : Crown moulding

Ron Williams1
10-06-2012, 12:07 PM
About 15 years ago, I was making a mantle to go over a fireplace. In talking with a now deceased cabinet maker, he told me to measure where the cuts should be and bring it down to his shop. He told me to stand back and then he laid the 8 foot piece of moulding face down in front of a sliding compound crosscut saw, went right with the first angle and laid the saw over and zip...he made the perfect cut. The 8inch crown moulding fit perfectly. I asked him what the angles were and he smiled and told me to play with a piece of moulding for a couple of years. Does anyone know the two angles for cutting crown moulding face down and flat on the base of the saw?

Thanks,

Ron

Leo Graywacz
10-06-2012, 1:30 PM
Depends on the spring angle. 45-45 or 52-38

45-45 >> 30 for the bevel and 35.26 for the miter

52-38 >> is bevel 33.9 degrees, miter 31.6 degrees

Rick Christopherson
10-06-2012, 4:13 PM
Here is a full explanation and a built-in calculator for the angles regardless what your spring angle is or corner angle.
http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/Compound_Miter.pdf

Kyle Iwamoto
10-06-2012, 5:18 PM
My tip for cuting crown moulding is to get a scrap piece of wood the same height as your moulding. Cut the bevels and write the angles on each. There are 4 ways to cut, right left inside outside. 2 of these would be backwards if you don't have a double bevel saw. There are only 4 right (proper) cuts, but there is a near infinite number of cuts you can make wrong. :eek: Put the template up where the mouding will go and follow the angles you wrote on the scrap. Can't miss. But you STILL can cut it too short.

Good luck!

Peter Quinn
10-06-2012, 5:51 PM
Depends on the spring angle. 45-45 or 52-38

45-45 >> 30 for the bevel and 35.26 for the miter

52-38 >> is bevel 33.9 degrees, miter 31.6 degrees

My saw actually has detents for these angles. First time I had to use them I consulted the chart, shaking my head, How am I supposed to find those? Well, as I stared getting close, I realized the saw actually stopped there! Smart folks over there at Makita, arigato for that! Check your saw, they may be there too!

Paul Incognito
10-06-2012, 6:16 PM
My saw actually has detents for these angles. First time I had to use them I consulted the chart, shaking my head, How am I supposed to find those? Well, as I stared getting close, I realized the saw actually stopped there! Smart folks over there at Makita, arigato for that! Check your saw, they may be there too!
My 8-1/2" hitachi has the detents too. Comes in handy with a smaller saw as I can't cut big moldings standing up.