PDA

View Full Version : Trick or TREAT!

Doug Herzberg
10-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I definitely received an early Halloween treat when the mail lady came to the door struggling with a very heavy Priority Mail box.

Eric Gourieux sent me this block of walnut and round of fabulous Ambrosia Maple as a thank you for the chunk of the dead pine tree I sent him. I definitely got the better end of that deal, although I'm pretty sure the worms in the maple are dead, unlike the ones I sent to him. They sell this "wormy maple" around here as lumber, but I've never seen anything thicker than 8/4 and nothing this pretty. I hope I can do it justice.

I feel like Sheldon Cooper after he got the napkin with Leonard Nimoy's DNA on it - I should box up the rest of the pine and send it to Eric. If you don't watch The Big Bang Theory, you won't get that.

Thanks, Eric. I'll take my time and try to do it right.

BTW, that pine is checking fast. I guess I should have sealed the sides after I stripped the bark. I'm madly roughing what's left to save what I can.

Allan Ferguson
10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Lucky Dog!

Tim Leiter
10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I have a little maple like that. Is that spalted/ambrosia maple. Mine looks like that with both black lines from the ambrosia beetle and spalting. I just want to know what to call the wood I have. Thanks, great score. I wish I could get the better in trades like that.

Eric Gourieux
10-06-2012, 2:03 PM
Doug,
I'm glad you got the package. I think you'll like turning this amb maple. It turns like butter!

Kyle,
I don't think this piece has any spalting. Its just ambrosia maple with lots of ambrosia staining.

Mike Cruz
10-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Eric, that AM is great stuff, ain't it? It seems like finding a tree on my property that ISN'T riddled with Ambrosia Beetle traces is about impossible. Little buggers are everywhere!

Jim Burr
10-07-2012, 10:33 PM
No Halloween there...that's Christmas my friend!!