PDA

View Full Version : BLM Gloat

mike ash
10-06-2012, 1:53 AM
I picked up a few rounds from a 5 ft (yes 5 ft) diameter Big Leaf Maple that had been felled and cut into 24" lengths.....about 6 weeks ago. Sadly, checking had already begun, but I was able to salvage quite a bit . The color and character of this wood is some of the most exceptional I have ever seen. It shows beautiful red color, blue stain, cream shades, and occassional brilliant white spots, along with lots of birdseye and burl grain. You can see that I am making full use of the 20" swing from my PM 3520B. I've got a few that will require to be turned off the end. I am just elated to be turning these green and can't wait until they are dry enough to do final turning and finishing.

Sorry, but I just had to share!!

Toby Bouder
10-06-2012, 6:04 AM
Wow, that should be pretty. The size is impressive also. BTW I took the cone off of my live center, I found it tends to split the wood. Maybe I'm using too much pressure?

Scott Lux
10-06-2012, 7:33 AM
<Jealous>nice piece. That's going to bean exceptional bowl. </jealous>

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2012, 9:11 AM
Congrats on the wood Mike! Looks like the bowl is going to be a real beauty once finished! Have fun!!

Nate Davey
10-06-2012, 10:46 AM
That's a beautiful piece of wood, Mike. Can't wait to see this finished; I know it's going to be nice.