PDA

View Full Version : band saw alignment RIDGID 1401

Ken Tucker
10-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Hello all, my bottom band saw blade guide broke when i tightened the guild block thumb screw with a wrench .ole well, anyway repaired with j.b.weld and ordered a new one from ridgid. I also found that not only was my wheels not coplanar .they were not in line at the front edge of the wheels ,and the upper guide wasn't coplanar nor in line with the bottom blade guide.I hope you can picture all this :eek: . I got the wheels coplanar but they are not in line .I will have to move the top of the saw back 3/16 toward the back . i have 5" riser on it and ill have to make the holes for the alignment pins larger to do that, after i complete this , does anyone know if carter barring system work on a ridgid 1401 band saw. :) HOPE YOU INJOYED THE STORY thanks for letting me get this off my chest .

Myk Rian
10-06-2012, 9:38 AM
Did you check for co-planar with a blade on it?
Well, don't do that.

A 5" riser?

Take the blade off and adjust the tracking to make the wheel vertical. THEN check for co-planar.

Also, don't use a wrench on the guide blocks.
Don't bother with bearing guides. Use hardwood blocks you make yourself.

Ken Tucker
10-06-2012, 10:08 PM
hey Rian. yes i striped every thing off i have everything in line the wheels are a little less than 1/32 out. iv thought about making blocks out of wood i have red oak.maple ,sycamore. ucoliptus.cherry.maghony what do you suggest i all so have 1/2" ceramic and a wet tile saw :) thanks Rian

Myk Rian
10-07-2012, 11:17 AM
1/32" is perfectly acceptable.
When you tension and track the blade, center it on the upper wheel. Don't worry about where it rides on the lower wheel.
I've used cherry soaked with mineral oil.