PDA

View Full Version : FWW Plane review

Mark Singer
04-16-2005, 8:43 PM
Just got my Fine Woodworking....there is a review of smoothing planes and as you might have guessed...the expensive ones....are better tuned and perform better than the cheaper ones.:rolleyes: ...so LN , Verits and Clifton...were better than Anat , Stanley (new), Footprint and others...The author felt a .003 concavity in the sole of the Clifton...I wish I could feel .oo3 on anything:confused: ...It is a good basic article and explains basic tuning and adjustments...It might help amswer some of the questions that have ben asked recently

Mike Holbrook
04-16-2005, 9:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up Mark, will check that out.

Joe Mioux
04-17-2005, 12:37 AM
I wait patiently for the next FWW in my mailbox. Mark, I am glad created this thread because I have been intrigued by the Anant line of planes. Now I will wait and read.

Joe

Dan Forman
04-17-2005, 3:08 AM
Mark---Did they rate any of the wooden planes--Knight, Primus Reform, HTN Gordon or similar? I'm still on the fence as to which way to go on a smoother, but I do want to get one, and I am leaning toward wood, probably the Primus. It looks like it may be the easiest to adjust of the woods, and I have no experience with planes, so want something user friendly to start with.

Dan

JayStPeter
04-17-2005, 8:47 AM
Mark---Did they rate any of the wooden planes--Knight, Primus Reform, HTN Gordon or similar? I'm still on the fence as to which way to go on a smoother, but I do want to get one, and I am leaning toward wood, probably the Primus. It looks like it may be the easiest to adjust of the woods, and I have no experience with planes, so want something user friendly to start with.

Dan

Not Mark, but no wooden planes were included.

It was all the metal #4s, plus the Low Angle smoothers from LV and LN. The results were not shocking.

Jay

Mark Singer
04-17-2005, 9:22 AM
Dan,
No,
Not this time. I have an older FWW where Garret Hack included a ECE Reform smoother..and liked it, but had trouble taking it apart. ...these are just metal

Dan

Jim Becker
04-17-2005, 9:33 AM
I just read that article last night before going to sleep. (no, the article didn't cause that!) Chris did a nice job on the review, IMHO.

Tony Zaffuto
04-17-2005, 3:27 PM
Dan and others,

I have a 711 ECE Primus adjustable mouth smoothing plane listing in the SMC classified section. Bought new less than a month ago, and used a bit (flattened and sharpened the iron).

I have given it a "fair shake", but quite frankly, I do not care for the lightweight feel of this plane. The plane will easily cut .001" to .002" thick shavings in the QS white oak I have been using.

T.Z.