PDA

View Full Version : Truth in Tool Advertisement?

Jim Koepke
10-05-2012, 8:55 PM
Don't buy these it seems to be saying:

http://hooniverse.com/2012/09/24/truth-in-advertising-hazard-fraught-tools/

jtk

Rich Riddle
10-05-2012, 9:31 PM
Quite the spoof on Harbor Freight tools.

Tom Stenzel
10-06-2012, 8:50 AM
I ordered the garden hose - extension cord combo.

Cause everybody knows that hydroelectric power is green!

-Tom Stenzel

Greg Peterson
10-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I had to guffaw when I came across the manual chain saw. All in all, a well executed parody on HF.

* Full disclosure - I do have some HF tools in my shop. The DC is a good value and performs well. I built a clone of a Fender Deluxe tube amp using the HF multi tester unit. And I have a few HF wood clamps that come in handy. This is pretty much the extent of my HF collection.

Andrew Joiner
10-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I do want to get one of those Moron Lamps. The Festool Moron Lamps look identical except they shine on the wearer and cost 10 times as much.

My full disclosure --I have many HF products that perform well.

Rich Riddle
10-07-2012, 12:30 AM
I do want to get one of those Moron Lamps. The Festool Moron Lamps look identical except they shine on the wearer and cost 10 times as much.

My full disclosure --I have many HF products that perform well.

Harbor Freight has great tools for the consumables or ones a person doesn't frequently use. I have a car jack that works well for the three times a year it's used. Most likely wouldn't want to use it daily, but for a light car, it's great. Same with a few of the specialty wrenches needed to access a belt every few years. Some of their sandpaper works well. The free flashlights work great. I fear the power tools they sell.

As for Festool, well I only buy the tools that I use at least a couple times a week. They have one random orbit sander that was about double the price but works flawlessly. I want some of their tools, but if I am not going to use them very often, it's not economically feasible or justifiable. I have read some posts from members who seem to have their lives savings in them.

Jim Koepke
10-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I have read some posts from members who seem to have their lives savings in them.

If they get used and earn a little cash on the side, then it could be a good investment.

If they bring joy to the owner when used and produce enjoyable items for use in the household, it sure beats spending one's life savings at the local watering hole.

If the are cared for and retain any value, then they may eventually become an estate.

jtk

Andrew Joiner
10-07-2012, 11:54 AM
My other disclosure- I own no Festools yet. I do have some tools that are more costly than I can justify now that I'm just a hobbiest. When I started my wood business in 1970 I found Sears best line of drills sanders and routers slow and inferior. I quickly depended on what was the best back then, mostly Porter Cable. So to go "backwards" and try a cheap HF power planer and disk grinder was against my better judgement, but they work fine for my use.

What I love is value. When I find any low cost item that performs well I get excited.

Gary Hodgin
10-07-2012, 8:19 PM
I could use that 18v hammer.