PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Miter Shooter

Jim Koepke
10-05-2012, 3:35 PM
The LOML is making miniature bird house Christmas ornaments to sell at the farmers market.

To make the roof pieces line up they are given a 45º miter along the mating edges.

A very simple addition to one of my shooting boards makes for a quick fix.

A scrap piece of 2X3 was marked and cut. A little bit was trimmed with the plane shown to match 45º miter square shown in the image. A notch was cut in the back for the clamp.

jtk

David Myers
10-05-2012, 8:24 PM
Nice fixture, Jim. Thanks for posting the pics. I'd suggest "Mighty Mighter Shooter" when you're ready for mass production.

Michael Ray Smith
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
A very simple addition to one of my shooting boards makes for a quick fix.

jtk

Very nice. I need to remember to think simple for things like this. I ran into a similar need and spent several hours building a ramp wide enough to handle anything I might ever use -- probably more than anything I might ever use -- with the ability to make adjustments in all three angles (roll, pitch, and yaw). It's nice, but something like this would have addressed my immediate need and maybe anything I've done since.

Jim Koepke
10-08-2012, 11:04 AM
something like this would have addressed my immediate need and maybe anything I've done since.

That is why even the simple solutions and ideas should be posted by everyone.

It may not be earth shattering, but it might be just the idea to spark another's imagination into a solution for their own project.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the original post is that for ease of work, an edge was mitered and then the piece cut from the strip. Then the next piece was mitered and cut from the strip. A lot easier than trying to hold a bunch of small pieces will trying to shoot them.

jtk

Pat Barry
10-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Where I'm from, the only 'birds' that fit in something that size are called mosquito's and its frowned upon to provide housing for them.