PDA

View Full Version : Combination square

Christian Aufreiter
05-03-2003, 2:25 PM
Hi folks,

Dieter Schmid started selling Starrett combination squares some weeks ago so now they are available in Europe and I was thinking about getting one.
Dieter has 4 differnt types in his program
http://www.fine-tools.com/combi.htm
and I want to know which one you coniser to be best.
All are expensive (of course) and I wonder if I'd really need a protractor head on my square. The second modell 33MHC-300 is my favourite so far.

How do you like your squares, do you think they are necessary (till now I was getting along with my "standard" Crown, ECE and Nobex square and all of them have been accurate so far) and which one would you get?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Christian

Steve Clardy
05-03-2003, 5:56 PM
with no extra heads. I have three this way, and find myself using these the most. I also have the tri-head, [all three heads], made by central tool. Never use it, in fact, I just listed it on Ebay this morning. The staretts are better tools, and expensive, but well worth it as they will last a lifetime with proper care and a little oiling once in a while. Steve

John Wadsworth
05-03-2003, 5:57 PM
Guten Tag, Christian--

I have all the bits and pieces on my Starrett combination square. The basic square gets used twenty times a day; I no longer have to think about adjusting it, my hand seems to do it as I pick it up.

The protractor head may only be used every couple of months, but when a job calls for it the tool will be used many times in the course of that job.

The center finder is rarely used--but then I do very little turning.

Accordingly, in your place I might get just the basic square and save 40 euros on the center finder. You may be able to pick up the other pieces later on.

Just my experience. As the expression goes, "your mileage may vary."

Jason Roehl
05-03-2003, 6:01 PM
My Starrett 'tis a thing of beauty...more importantly 'tis a thing of FUNCTION. I can't remember the number on it--there's a system to their numbering, but I forget that, too.

David Rose
05-03-2003, 7:38 PM
I've never used the center finder, but the protractor gets a little use here and there. It is really handy. I find it essential to have some type of angle guage at times, but other types would work too.

I have several squares. For most things I just grab the Starret. I know it is always accurate.

I did just last night learn that the edges of the rule are sharp too. Ugh! Not deep but a big flap of loose skin all day...

David

Steve Clardy
05-03-2003, 7:51 PM
I did just last night learn that the edges of the rule are sharp too. Ugh! Not deep but a big flap of loose skin all day...

David [/B][/QUOTE]

Are you saying maybe you need some oven mitts to protect yourself?:rolleyes:
Steve

David Rose
05-03-2003, 8:04 PM
to not slide my body down objects that aren't tested for such. ;-) Maybe I ought to get the over mitts until my brain engages. I knew my flesh was not going to remove that glue from the edge anyway. It took a fingernail. Just dumb sometimes...

David

Jim Becker
05-03-2003, 11:08 PM
I only have the "regular" head for my Starrett 12" combo square, but it's a wonderful tool. Even "I" can be accurate with it! For the 6" square that I happened to get with the larger one (a lucky ReTool purchase a few years ago), it has just the straight head. I use that for tool setup all the time, as well as with small workpieces.

Whichever Starrett you end up with, you will be pleased.

Dan Stuewe
05-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by John Wadsworth

Just my experience. As the expression goes, "your mileage may vary."

John, shouldn't it be "your kilometerage may vary"?

Christian, since you asked the question, I took a quick look at ebay. I have no idea what places would charge (or even if they would ship to europe), but it seems that 4" and 6" Starretts go for a fair amount less than retail. And with the legendary Starrett quality, it could be a good buy.

Anyway, just a sugestion.

Christian Aufreiter
05-05-2003, 1:58 PM
Hi Dan,

thanks for your suggestion. As you mentioned shipping and customs could be a problem.

Regards,

Christian