PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder burl tree

Toby Bouder
10-05-2012, 3:09 PM
Brought home this tree last month, should keep me busy for a while! I may have to donate some to the woodturners club. Not sure my skills are up to doing justice to this wood.

Mike Peace
10-05-2012, 3:15 PM
Nice haul. Got some good looking flame there. My suggestion is when you are breaking it down, cut some into 2 1/2 to 3 1/2" turning squares for ornaments, boxes and such. Nice to have on hand.

Toby Bouder
10-05-2012, 3:25 PM
I do have the quartersawn slabs with the pith removed and most are about that thickness. I haven't done much with ornaments or boxes, but I do plan to in the future. I haven't done hollowforms yet either, I think I will let the more experienced club members tackle that.

Scott Hackler
10-05-2012, 3:31 PM
Get the pith out of it ASAP and seal the tar out of it. In my experience, box elder goes bad a lot quicker that most woods.

BTW, you should put your location in your profile so we can see where your from (and where your hiding the box elder!) :)

Toby Bouder
10-05-2012, 3:45 PM
Get the pith out of it ASAP and seal the tar out of it. In my experience, box elder goes bad a lot quicker that most woods.

BTW, you should put your location in your profile so we can see where your from (and where your hiding the box elder!) :)
Just did the profile update. I'm still working on cutting up and sealing the last giant piece of burl trunk. It is over 3 feet in diameter! Thanks for your advice Scott.

Tim Rinehart
10-05-2012, 4:20 PM
That's about as fine a wood gloat as I've seen in a while. Box elder itself makes for very interesting pieces, and the burl is some of the most desired burls around...at least in my book!

Ron Crosby
10-05-2012, 4:24 PM
Watch your back you old dudes.
Nice wood!!

john davey
10-05-2012, 4:25 PM
I gotta admit that is one ugly tree but it has beautiful looking wood inside :)

charlie knighton
10-05-2012, 5:25 PM
those burls will be nice, enjoy

Steve Schlumpf
10-05-2012, 5:26 PM
Wow!! Congrats on all that beautiful wood! Wish I had one of those blue wood picker-uppers! Sure would come in handy every now and then! Have fun turning!!

Steve bellinger
10-05-2012, 9:44 PM
man why can't i ever find something like that.Great gloat for sure

Baxter Smith
10-05-2012, 9:53 PM
That ranks near the top of all the wood gloats I have seen. Enjoy!!

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow now that should keep out of trouble for a day or two. That is going to make some nice pieces.

robert baccus
10-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Thats a kings ransom in wood. Worth thousands if thats your choice. Word of caution--BE has a lot of sugar in it and just loves to black mildew if not used soon. That can be pretty or ugly???? Try to let it dry some--maybe just wax the end grain or whatever. I was there a year ago. Also it turns green like froz butter--dry not so good. Rather chippy. Doesn,t seem to move curing and turning it to final thickness worked for several of us. crotchy cajun

Kathy Marshall
10-06-2012, 1:25 AM
Wow! Now that is one heck of a haul! Even without the burl it's a great gloat, looks like some nice flame in those logs.

robert raess
10-06-2012, 6:14 PM
In some pieces i like to leave the pith in at just about rim height[bowls] and turn it thin and take off the lathe and watch what happens.It's nice to see a piece warp,i think it adds interest.IMO, i've enjoyed turning wet Box Elder as much as anything, altho Apricot,Myrtle, Maple are a lot of fun.there was a tree in Wis. that was very old and full of burls[box elder] i couldn't fit the whole tree in my truck back to Az., so i harvested all the burl caps, and to this day they always attract a lot of attention once finished. Rob

Jim Burr
10-06-2012, 7:28 PM
Road trip!!

Toby Bouder
10-06-2012, 8:41 PM
In some pieces i like to leave the pith in at just about rim height[bowls] and turn it thin and take off the lathe and watch what happens.It's nice to see a piece warp,i think it adds interest.IMO, i've enjoyed turning wet Box Elder as much as anything, altho Apricot,Myrtle, Maple are a lot of fun.there was a tree in Wis. that was very old and full of burls[box elder] i couldn't fit the whole tree in my truck back to Az., so i harvested all the burl caps, and to this day they always attract a lot of attention once finished. Rob

Thanks for the idea Rob. I think I will do a few like that to see what happens.

Mike Cruz
10-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Hmmmmm, how far is Liverpool from me??????:rolleyes: That's one hell of a score, Toby! Just checked...only 2 1/2 hours! :D