PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for living where I live................

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2012, 12:52 AM
We took these photos after we left Pinedale, WY headed for our home in Idaho. Most of the photos were taken along the Hoback River south of Jackson Hole, WY. The last two photos were taken along US-12 and the Lochsa River in Idaho west of Lolo Pass.

242442 242443 242444 242445 242446

In the last photo...notice the smoke in the distance. It is a lot less smoke than when we came through the area over 2 weeks ago but forest fires still abound.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2012, 1:11 AM
Here's a picture of Jackson Hole as viewed from Teton Pass. The town's name is Jackson but the mountain men called it Jackson's Hole after a fur trapper who wintered here in the lower elevations....

Paul McGaha
10-05-2012, 4:43 AM
Beautiful Ken. I've never been to that part of the country. Hope to one day.

Thanks for posting.

PHM

Martin Shupe
10-05-2012, 5:03 AM
I am really, really jealous.

I wish I lived in the mountains.

Curt Harms
10-05-2012, 8:38 AM
Gorgeous part of the world. Here's a tip for anyone wanting to visit the Yellowstone area and doesn't have school-age kids. Go on or just after Labor Day. I was there a couple days after and the crowds were VERY manageable. And it's still warm.

Phil Thien
10-05-2012, 8:48 AM
Wow, amazing pics. Probably pales in comparison to being there, though!

Bill Edwards(2)
10-05-2012, 8:52 AM
Odd, how Wyoming (in those pictures) looks a lot like eastern Pennsylvania before they cleaned up. :D

The only differance is mother nature is doing the strip mining in Wyoming.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2012, 9:37 AM
Curt,

Great tip on viewing times for Yellowstone and I agree after Labor Day or the winter. We have toured Yellowstone twice in the winter in the comfort of a snowcoach and find it quite enjoyable!

I prefer to take guided tours of national parks. Doing so relieves me of driving and other associated responsibilities. I also learn a lot that I wouldn't if I just drove through the parks. We were planning on taking a fall tour as we returned home this trip but the tour companies ended the tours for the season on 9/30. Of course we got there on 10/01. I could have arranged a private tour but the price was a little steep for me.

Dennis Peacock
10-05-2012, 9:39 AM
Beautiful pics there Ken. I hope to ride motorcycle out your way one day...and see all those sites along the path.

Greg Peterson
10-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks Ken for showing how things look west of the Rockies. There are a couple of places on the Clackamas river where I shoot my guns that could be just around the bend in your Lochsa River pictures.

Idaho is a well kept secret. As long as everyone east of the Great Plains thinks all you guys do is grow potatoes, you won't have to share all that beautiful country.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Greg....there are some gorgeous stretches of the McKenzie River in Oregon too! I lived in Bend in the mid-70's for about 20 months. I drove back and forth to Eugene and Portland on occasion to work on some CT scanners. The Cascades and it's rivers have stunning beauty also!

Just 2 years ago after I became deaf, my wife and I spent a week in the Bend area visiting some of the beauty we remembered from 35 years ago.

Steve Meliza
10-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I'd pack up and head out that way if I thought I could find work in my field and could get my wife more than 10 miles from a major city. My grandparents farmed for many years in Culver ever since they brought in the water and still live there now in their 90's. It gets real hot and it gets real cold, but what a great area of the state that is out there. After my dad retired my folks moved to near Old Town, so I guess they agree with you that up there is better than over here under the rain clouds.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Beautiful pics there Ken. I hope to ride motorcycle out your way one day...and see all those sites along the path.

I'll see you get a jet boat tour of Hell's Canyon Dennis.....Come on my friend.....We have extra beds and plates......

Dave Anderson NH
10-05-2012, 2:58 PM
Ah Jackson Hole, memories of years ago. Climbing in the Tetons, the Silver Dollar Cowboy Bar, raising hell at Fish Creek. It is certainly beautiful country as is the area around Coeur d'Leane (sp) where my late uncle used to live.

Kevin Bourque
10-05-2012, 8:19 PM
Gorgeous part of the world. Here's a tip for anyone wanting to visit the Yellowstone area and doesn't have school-age kids. Go on or just after Labor Day. I was there a couple days after and the crowds were VERY manageable. And it's still warm.

I visited Yellowstone in late September /early October1987. I went to Yellowstone Lodge and it took 5 minutes of walking around before I saw another person. I also watched Old Faithful shoot off twice. The first time I was the only one there. The second time there was just me and some Japanese tourists. Down at the Geyser Basin( I think thats what it's called) There were maybe 25 people in total. Same deal with Arches National Park, Yosemite, Zion, Big Sur, and about a dozen more I visited on my cross country journey.