PDA

View Full Version : Oh the conundrum.

Albert Ketler
10-04-2012, 8:53 PM
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a hobby woodworker with a question about which tablesaw to keep.

I have a delta series 2000 contractor saw with the unifence and a cast iron left wing. I've been happy with it. My father won a Jet Proshop tablesaw with just about the same length fence (~30"). Perhaps there is someone out there with experience with both that can weigh in on which one is a better saw? The proshop is still boxed up, so if I were to sell it, now is the time.

Albert

joseph f merz
10-04-2012, 9:57 PM
i would sujest you mess with the fense ,see which one you like better .dought your old saw is more accurate then the jet . iSeems like time to upgrade .But do you need to dump one to get the other .If you can not have both can you at least keep both for a bit till you get a chance to compare the two.

Albert Ketler
10-04-2012, 10:20 PM
As soon as I crack the box on the jet, it's a used saw and not worth as much. If I were to sell it, it'd certainly be worth more unopened in original box. It is probably a better saw, but maybe someone can tell me if it's so much better that it's worth the difference in sale price. I could probably sell the jet for $1000, and the delta for $300.

Cary Falk
10-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Secret option # 3: Sell both saws and buy a cabinet saw. :eek::D

johnny means
10-05-2012, 12:53 AM
As soon as I crack the box on the jet, it's a used saw and not worth as much. If I were to sell it, it'd certainly be worth more unopened in original box.

I doubt this is the case, these aren't collectible toys. Your buyer is more than likely more concerned with the actual condition, not the condition of the tape on the box.

Anyway, IMO the Jet has enough extra features that I would make the switch. Just the dust collection alone is enough for me.

Carl Beckett
10-05-2012, 7:35 AM
I had a jet contractor saw for years. The fence was fine (imo - the exacta fence I think it was called). Upgraded to the cast iron wings. Turned the arbor (was a machinist at the time so had equipment to do this). Put a link belt on it. It was a smooth running saw.

Then upgraded to a cabinet saw. Both had shorter fences (I like shorter, dont have the shop space for a super long fence).

Went from a 1.5hp saw to a 3hp saw. This was the biggest difference I noticed. The 1.5 would bog down a little if I was doing thick cuts in hardwood.

The contractor saw was lighter, so would move a little if I was wrestling something large to cut - but I always figured if that was an issue it meant I was doing something I shouldnt be, and it was time to give myself better support.

If the only tool you have is a table saw..... I would lean towards selling the Jet and putting the money elsewhere. (and I am of the camp that you could likely get a better price if NOT opened/assembled)

Albert Ketler
10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for weighing in guys.

Cary - Now there's an option I hadn't considered. That may be the way to go.

Carl - I've got a pretty full shop - mostly jet tools aside from the delta tablesaw.

Carl Beckett
10-05-2012, 11:59 AM
$1300 is close enough for a cabinet saw...... And if you went used, might be able to have some change left over

Sell the jet. Use the money for a used cabinet saw. Don't sell your current saw until you find the replacement and have it all tund up. Then sell the current one.

Jim Andrew
10-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I agree, sell both. Neither contractor saw compares to a cabinet saw. The delta might seem like a good saw till you get a uni, but no comparison. No experience with the jet, but suspect likewise.

Andrew Howe
10-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Albert
I have that jet.proshop saw and mine is very nice. Great fence, smooth vibration free running with a linkbelt, dust collection and cast.iron wings. It does have a plus of the ability for storage underneath it.
on the down side, 1.5hp motor is decent if using thin kerf blades and no riving knife.
If I had to.do it again, I would have.bought a grizzley saw for a bit more

Roger Bullock
10-07-2012, 8:32 AM
I had the Delta contractors saw when I upgraded to the Jet cabinet saw. Kept both and put a dado blade in the contractors saw setup for plywood. Keep both if space and $'s allow.

Dick Brown
10-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm a "Fix up a used one" guy and have as much fun doing a restore on an old Unisaw or such top end but older unit as I do using them. If I were in your situation, I would sell the Jet, Start looking for a good older cabinet saw, restore it, and when done, sell or keep the Delta, (space related decission) and put the extra $ if any in your pocket. If the mechanical part of that has no interest, still sell the Jet and get a newer used cabinet saw. By the way, Your $ value seems a bit high on both saws for my area. Even a "New in the box" saw will not bring new dealer price in most cases.
Dick

Albert Ketler
10-13-2012, 9:30 AM
Thanks for weighing in everyone.