PDA

View Full Version : Not your typical parking lot.....

Mark Singer
04-16-2005, 3:12 PM
Every Saturday enthusists drive their Sunday best to the Crystal Cove parking lot...here we all check out the cars....I haven't been for a while...nice selection this week ...I haven't seen this many Lamborginis in one place...not even a dealer...Carrerea GT...Dan Gurney was here with his new birthday gift...Ford Gt with a custom metal dome for his head...he is tall and is celebrating 74... I think only Newport and Laguna can have this high end of a show...no matter what you drive somebody seems to top it. Now doesn't having a few nice woodworking tools seem like a modest and inexpensive pursuit of happiness?:confused:

Jim Becker
04-16-2005, 3:21 PM
"Big gloats"!!! Just think of the shop you could build for the equivalent of just one of those puppies... ;)

David Fried
04-16-2005, 3:24 PM
You thinking about a new lumber hauler? :D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-16-2005, 3:30 PM
Man ohh man, that is quite the collection!

Mark Singer
04-16-2005, 3:34 PM
No thanks I am set....I went with my neighbor Jon in his Porsche Turbo...9k miles ....about $145K(before fees)....it just blended in to the backround....like a Toyota or any bread and butter car...
You thinking about a new lumber hauler? :D

Mark Singer
04-16-2005, 3:37 PM
Not one of these guys can probably cut a dovetail either:eek:

John Miliunas
04-16-2005, 4:54 PM
I guess my little Subaru, Outback Sport would look a bit out of place there, heh?:D Sheeeesh...I can smell the $$$$ all the way over here! :rolleyes: Nice lookin' machines, though! Hey, more power to them, I suppose. If I could afford it, my Sunday driver would probably be a chunk of American fiberglass!:) :cool:

Doug Shepard
04-16-2005, 5:23 PM
I guess rich folks gotta gets their gloats too.:D I wonder what it costs to insure one of those things per year? Probably more than my whole car cost.

David Fried
04-16-2005, 7:11 PM
I guess rich folks gotta gets their gloats too.:D I wonder what it costs to insure one of those things per year? Probably more than my whole car cost.

As my father used to tell me, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Mark Singer
04-16-2005, 7:31 PM
You know what is really funny about those super exotic cars....they don't get driven! "Too uncomfortable, they want to keep miles down...they are hard to get in and out of."...I have friends and clients with Lamborginis and Ferraris and the story is almost always the same. I drive my Turbo...just hit 22k miles..and it is an 2002..it is comfortable and somewhat practicle and not that expensive to service....more or less like any car. If you don't drive it whats the point? It is no fun if it sits in the garage depreciating...

What is great is woodworking...cost nothing to start your tablesaw...etc..a lot of these guys would love to do what we do...they are bored , but they don't have a clue how to start....they have never built stuff.....we are the ones really having fun and being creative...;)

Dan Mages
04-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Here is another not so typical parking lot pic for you. This is a pic of a PT Cruiser show I attend called Cruise the Falls. It is held every year at Niagara Falls. The picture was taken from the Skylon Tower. There are approximately 600 PT Cruisers down there! The greatest thing about this event is that last year we raised $23,000 Canadian for Make-A-Wish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/skylonview.jpg

Dan

Mark Singer
04-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Dan,

Different crowd different motivations.....yours looks like a worthwhile cause!...Crystal cove is a bit of illusion..:(

John Miliunas
04-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Dan,

Different crowd different motivations.....yours looks like a worthwhile cause!...Crystal cove is a bit of illusion..:(

Hey Mark, now there's a thought!: I'll bet those nice folks at Crystal Cove could probably cough up a few bucks for something like the "Make-A-Wish Foundation"!!! Anybody out there ever do a poker run??? Heck, they'd get to show off their vehicles, contribute to a good cause AND, actually drive their cars around!!! What a concept!:D :) :cool:

Mark Singer
04-16-2005, 11:09 PM
John,

A lot of them are really great people and donate large sums ....it is amazing....and mostly to good causes...I have done a lot of benefit stuff also...it really makes you feel good to know your helping...Your not talking about the $500 and the woman that forgot to dress .....completley:confused:

Hey Mark, now there's a thought!: I'll bet those nice folks at Crystal Cove could probably cough up a few bucks for something like the "Make-A-Wish Foundation"!!! Anybody out there ever do a poker run??? Heck, they'd get to show off their vehicles, contribute to a good cause AND, actually drive their cars around!!! What a concept!:D :) :cool:

John Miliunas
04-16-2005, 11:41 PM
John,

A lot of them are really great people and donate large sums ....it is amazing....and mostly to good causes...I have done a lot of benefit stuff also...it really makes you feel good to know your helping...Your not talking about the $500 and the woman that forgot to dress .....completley:confused:

I have little doubt that there are many doing lots of stuff for good causes. Even around here, while not quite as extravagant in their "rides", lots of folks add much to their local communities, churches and such. But, for the Crystal Cove folks, I still think something like a poker run would be a blast for all and give those mechanical marvels a bit of a workout!:) You're also right about it being kind of pointless in owning a machine like that just for the sake of owning it and not going out to enjoy it. Glad you're having fun with the Turbo!:D :) :cool:

John Shuk
04-17-2005, 10:18 AM
I was at a house in Greenwich, Ct. that had a garage that wasn't too far off from that parking lot. Have I mentioned that the lottery here is up to $168 million. Maybe then.

Allan Johanson
04-17-2005, 6:03 PM
If it makes you guys feel any better, I've driven a variety of exotics including Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Each of these cars has "issues". Stuff that if a basic car like a Toyota displayed such lame shifting as in the Ferrari 348 I drove on a race track then the reviewer would slam Toyota for making such a stiff, balky shifter. Nothing like heading down a main straightaway wanting to downshift to 2nd for the hairpin and having to deal with that shifter. :(

Ferraris are too delicate too, IMHO. Poor placement of trunk latches and too thin of metal on the hoods can lead to bending the metal if you press down in the wrong place.

The older Porsches are known as having "butter churning" shifting (lots of slop). I put an aftermarket kit in mine to help out. Much better, but it's not as slick as on some cheaper cars. But I do favour Porsches because they are meant to be driven. Strong cars you can drive hard all day and they'll keep going.

The Lamborghini Diablo has a tough clutch, almost on/off. Takes a while to get used to. Another issue is it's also $5K to replace. :eek: The rear 3/4 blind spot is massive and a large car can hide in that. I found the best method of changing lanes was to look ahead to the lane you want to change to and floor it. Nobody could catch up to you and you'll be able to change lanes easily. :D

For the Lotus Turbo Esprit, I must give Lotus full marks for their excellent tuning of the engine/trans. They've got it matched up so well the acceleration is excellent. Handling is nice as well. Too bad about the reliability as my boss found out. :eek:

But I suppose these shortcomings are traits those who love these cars don't really mind. It's all part of the "character" of owning a car like that. :)

Cheers,

Allan