PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking in America Conference in Covington, KY Nov. 2012

Rich Riddle
10-04-2012, 3:17 PM
Have any of you ever attended a Woodworking in America conference. I live very close to where they will be having one in a few weeks and am wondering if it's worth attending and what to expect. Many of the regional woodworking events I have attended lately aren't that great and seem to be dwindling in both attendance and vendors.

Dave Lehnert
10-04-2012, 3:53 PM
If you are looking to attend a woodworking show this is it. Don't even think about it and go.
The Northern Ky convention center is easy to get to and a plenty of parking in the garage across the street.

Rich Riddle
10-04-2012, 4:17 PM
If you are looking to attend a woodworking show this is it. Don't even think about it and go.
The Northern Ky convention center is easy to get to and a plenty of parking in the garage across the street.

Thanks for you input on the conference. I can walk there from my house in nice weather. Of course if there are lots of tools being sold, it might be wise to take the truck.

ray hampton
10-04-2012, 6:58 PM
Unless the center are drive in , you will a cart to move the tools to your truck unless you are walking out route 17 or route 8 into newport , all other streets are uphill

Andrew Pitonyak
10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Very sad I cannot make it this year. It is the best show I have attended. Also, I loved all the classes.

Stew Hagerty
10-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I went last year and it was far and away the very best show I have ever been to. In fact, they call it a "Conference" rather than a "Show"; and it is very apparent why once you get there. All of the attendees and lecturers are there to talk shop, and whether you

are a novice or a master I guarantee you will learn something. Even the vendors are there to talk woodworking, although they will most certainly be happy to sell you as much as your wallet will allow. Speaking of vendors... This show is unique in that the

companies don't just have a booth set up and manned by sales & office personnel. In nearly every case, the owners of the companies are there as well. Thomas Lie-Nielsen personally walked me through their plane collection, explaining, demonstrating, and

giving me tips. Trust me, if you can only choose one show to go to, this is the one.

Unfortunately, like Andrew, I cannot go this year either. My son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter are coming from Denver for a visit that week. There is no choice when it is between WIA and your granddaughter's 3rd birthday.

Rich Riddle
10-05-2012, 2:12 PM
Would you recommend that I attend some of the classes for a day or simply go there for the marketplace?

Rich Riddle
10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Does anyone have the promotional codes for the conference? It's a bit expensive.

Stew Hagerty
10-07-2012, 8:06 PM
Absolutely attend some classes if you can. The instructors are all some of the best in the business. And, although many of the classes can be large, there is always the opportunity for some personal time with them before and after.

Hey, how many opportunities do you have a chance to see something like Uncle Roy (Underhill) break a huge chunk off of a Ruobo bench? Well I did last year, and I still tell the story.

Stew Hagerty
10-07-2012, 8:08 PM
Does anyone have the promotional codes for the conference? It's a bit expensive.

They have had it on sale until just recently so you just missed that. I was not aware that they had promotional codes beyond that.

Rich Riddle
10-08-2012, 6:17 PM
Do you have to sign up for specific classes or can you just arrive that day and attend any of the seminars on the schedule?

Stew Hagerty
10-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Do you have to sign up for specific classes or can you just arrive that day and attend any of the seminars on the schedule?

Everything you need to should be here:
http://www.woodworkinginamerica.com/ehome/index.php?eventid=35763&

ray hampton
10-13-2012, 9:03 PM
the link did not mention Covington but cincy town ohio

Andrew Pitonyak
10-13-2012, 9:22 PM
the link did not mention Covington but cincy town ohio

The Cincy convention center is really in Covington KY. Their airport is also in KY. Use google maps and take a look, they are across the river in KY.

ray hampton
10-13-2012, 10:04 PM
The Cincy convention center is really in Covington KY. Their airport is also in KY. Use google maps and take a look, they are across the river in KY.

NO it not, the pork town got its own convention center and Covington got a convention, the airport that Cincy claim is in KY not ohio , why should I use google to look up where I lived at, pork town is a better name for cincy

Andrew Pitonyak
10-14-2012, 6:55 PM
NO it not, the pork town got its own convention center and Covington got a convention, the airport that Cincy claim is in KY not ohio , why should I use google to look up where I lived at, pork town is a better name for cincy

Clearly I missed the intent of your post. I assumed a question / confusion as opposed to what I now assume was meant to be a snippy comment related to something I missed.

ray hampton
10-14-2012, 7:46 PM
Clearly I missed the intent of your post. I assumed a question / confusion as opposed to what I now assume was meant to be a snippy comment related to something I missed.

do not assume me to be snippy, what is snippy ?
is it similar to dogs nippy at your heel ?

Andrew Pitonyak
10-14-2012, 8:24 PM
do not assume me to be snippy, what is snippy ?
is it similar to dogs nippy at your heel ?

Hesitant to answer since you confuse me (and this type of exchange is likely easier using voice)..... but yes....

The dictionary definition of snippy is "short tempered or snappish; unduly brief or curt".

I responded to...
the link did not mention Covington but cincy town ohio, so I assumed that you were confused because claims of cincy and covington. Your response to me lead me to believe that you are well aware of where everything is and that you have a much better than usual understanding of the history of the area (you know about the pigs, for example). When I recommended that you use Google to see where things are relative to each other (assuming you are not familiar with the area) you ask why you would bother when you know the area.

So, when you mentioned the link not mentioning Covington, that post was "unduly brief", I did not have sufficient context to answer or understand the post. Do you see the point of my confusion?

Your response to me indicated that my initial assumption for the purpose of your post was totally wrong (ie, you totally understood the area and know exactly where things are in relation so each other), left me assuming that you had some other meaning for the post. I thought perhaps you do not care for cincy (much like many in Columbus seem to hold animosity towards the entire state of Michigan based on a college football thing).

My primary point in this long winded response is that clearly I do not understand your purpose for the initial post and now we seem to be writing past each other, a recipe for increased misunderstanding.

I claim to live in Columbus Ohio, which is false. I simply state that because a person not from the area can far more easily find and understand Columbus than they can the small city where I actually live. If you don't know the area, the precise accurate details are not as important as "don't panic, you a stone's throw from where you want to be."

ray hampton
10-14-2012, 9:53 PM
Hesitant to answer since you confuse me (and this type of exchange is likely easier using voice)..... but yes....

The dictionary definition of snippy is "short tempered or snappish; unduly brief or curt".

I responded to... , so I assumed that you were confused because claims of cincy and covington. Your response to me lead me to believe that you are well aware of where everything is and that you have a much better than usual understanding of the history of the area (you know about the pigs, for example). When I recommended that you use Google to see where things are relative to each other (assuming you are not familiar with the area) you ask why you would bother when you know the area.

So, when you mentioned the link not mentioning Covington, that post was "unduly brief", I did not have sufficient context to answer or understand the post. Do you see the point of my confusion?

Your response to me indicated that my initial assumption for the purpose of your post was totally wrong (ie, you totally understood the area and know exactly where things are in relation so each other), left me assuming that you had some other meaning for the post. I thought perhaps you do not care for cincy (much like many in Columbus seem to hold animosity towards the entire state of Michigan based on a college football thing).

My primary point in this long winded response is that clearly I do not understand your purpose for the initial post and now we seem to be writing past each other, a recipe for increased misunderstanding.

I claim to live in Columbus Ohio, which is false. I simply state that because a person not from the area can far more easily find and understand Columbus than they can the small city where I actually live. If you don't know the area, the precise accurate details are not as important as "don't panic, you a stone's throw from where you want to be."

It would took me 2 week to write a letter this long but you do have a grip of it, do not deal too much on misunderstanding because it are bound to happen until we get the ability to read each other minds, I forget much of what I said yesterday, maybe you can too

Andrew Pitonyak
10-15-2012, 12:09 AM
It would took me 2 week to write a letter this long

I am rarely accused of being without words, although, while I was in high school, it was common for the teacher to give an assignment to write a certain number of pages (say 5), and then tell me that I could write less (say 3) because I would say exactly what I thought needed to be said to state my point.... and then I would expand the space with adjectives, adverbs, and other useless prose.

Thanks for the response! Buy ya a beer if you make it to my neck of the woods....

ray hampton
10-15-2012, 11:51 AM
I am rarely accused of being without words, although, while I was in high school, it was common for the teacher to give an assignment to write a certain number of pages (say 5), and then tell me that I could write less (say 3) because I would say exactly what I thought needed to be said to state my point.... and then I would expand the space with adjectives, adverbs, and other useless prose.

Thanks for the response! Buy ya a beer if you make it to my neck of the woods....

save your money, I give up drinking back when and it were not beer that I up