PDA

View Full Version : Boggs Tool sharpening service for old rasps BIG PICTURES

Jonathan McCullough
10-04-2012, 2:16 PM
There's been a lot of discussion about the state of currently manufactured rasps. Over the years I've picked up a bunch of rasps, files, and Vixen-type files from flea markets and garage sales, usually paying $1 or so apiece. These are usually under a clutter of junk at the bottom of old wooden tool boxes or spread out on tarps, and were made by Nicholson, Simonds, Heller, or branded as "Craftsman." To be sure, I've come across a lot of rasps that are just too far gone, where the cutting edges have been crushed, or have rubbed up against files for years and years, or had an unacceptable amount of pitting rust. I passed by these in favor of rasps that seemed to be good candidates for Boggs Tool Company's rasp sharpening service.

I called them up and they gave me instructions to wrap the tools up with thick kraft paper sufficient to keep them from hurting each other in transit. There's no need to wrap them individually. Sent them by USPS and waited about a week. Some of them had red or black grunk on them, sort of like oil paint but more waxy, others had some wood chips from previous users. Most of them had rust as you can see here.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/Jonathryn/DSCF0367.jpg

About a week later I got them back. Each rasp was individually wrapped in thick kraft paper that was lubricated with what smelled like 3-in-1 Oil; the half-rounds were wrapped together. The overall appearance was excellent. All of the grunk had been eliminated from the faces of the tools, if not from the tippy most recesses under the teeth, and all the wood chips had been washed away. My understanding is that they use a pressurized steam abrasive technique that's been around for ever, because it's the best way to sharpen rasps and files. If after the process, Boggs determines what you sent them to be "rejects" they paint the tang red; only one of the cabinet files I sent was deemed rejection-able. The service cost about $2 -$3 per file/rasp, plus shipping both ways; obviously I've been saving these up to send a batch.

Here are some pics of the results. The teeth are sharp sharp and catch on the skin admirably. The vixen files are positively vicious--like holding a handful of freshly-sharpened chisels. Definitely demand care and respect, those vixens. Boggs says they sharpen new, never-used tools as well as old ones because they'll be sharper than as-bought. Having seen their work now, I'd tend to agree. Although I haven't had a chance to use them yet, I have had experience with a variety of rasps before, and don't see why these won't be excellent. Will do a follow-up post when I get a chance.

So in summation, if you want to see what all the fuss is about the old Nicholsons, my preliminary results from Boggs are a thumbs-up. If you go raid Grandpa's garage or have a few of these already, this is a good resource. Very pleasant customer service too.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/Jonathryn/DSCF0382.jpg

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/Jonathryn/DSCF0383.jpg
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/Jonathryn/DSCF0385.jpg

Mel Fulks
10-04-2012, 2:23 PM
Most interesting .Thank you.

Prashun Patel
10-04-2012, 2:25 PM
Nice results! I used Boggs a year or two ago to sharpen some rasps. I was fairly pleased with the results too. The service is great.

Todd Burch
10-04-2012, 2:58 PM
Interesting. Can you say more about the process used to sharpen the rasps? I have a large drawer, literally, chuck full of old files / rasps / vixens / etc. Probably well over 50, maybe approaching 70. Probably more files than rasps & vixens, but still, several.

Is there a size limit (min or max) for what can be sharpened?

george wilson
10-04-2012, 3:20 PM
Sounds like an excellent investment,and a LOT cheaper than buying new rasps.

Jonathan McCullough
10-04-2012, 3:54 PM
Todd,
There may be a size limit, you may want to check. According to their website http://www.boggstool.com/page5.html and bill of particulars, for a special price they also sharpen farriers' rasps. The one I have is about 18 inches long and maybe three inches wide. There's more on the site about the process as I recall, but not a lot of detail. For my purposes, it was cheap and effective. After I got to organizing these I discovered more rasps squirreled away, so I'll be sending those too.

George,
Less expensive but time consuming. Nice rasps don't grow on trees, even in New England. That collection probably took 5+ years of junking around, and I've only ever found one fine-toothed cabinet rasp. But looks like I'm mostly set for life and then some. Still have some holes in the arsenal.

Chuck Nickerson
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Interesting. Is there a size limit (min or max) for what can be sharpened?

Since Boggs is only 45 minutes from me I use him often; he's fun to talk with.
I've had him clean files from 4" to 18". The smoother the cut of the file, the less noticable the change in sharpness.
14" rasps come back wicked-sharp. A 4" double-smooth comes back clean and probably sharper.

george wilson
10-05-2012, 1:41 PM
I mean,if you already have old rasps on hand,good deal.