PDA

View Full Version : A walnut bowl

Toby Bouder
10-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi all, I made this bowl a few months ago. It is walnut from a free tree I found on CL. It had been down for about 6 months and cut into 18in lengths. The largest diameter was about 26in. Two pickup loads still keeping me busy! This bowl is 8 1/4" W x 4" H the walls are 3/8". Finish is Formby's Tung Oil Finish. Lots of depth which doesn't show on the pics.
C&C please.

Thanks, Toby

Tim Rinehart
10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Nice shape and thickness to this. My suggestion based on personal preference for walnut and other woods that have possible utility use would be something more like walnut oil or mineral oil (salad bowl finish).
My other suggestion is to have me come get some of this to help prevent the eventual loss of wayyyy too many trunk sections for one person to turn before they go bad :D !

steven carter
10-04-2012, 3:07 PM
Fine looking bowl, well done!

Mike Cruz
10-04-2012, 3:43 PM
Toby, you want critique on this? Sorry, not a whole lot to give! The shape, in my opinion is perfect for the depth of the bowl. Anything I might say about it would be personal preference, like may some sort of detail on the rim (other than just rounded over). But again, simply one man's view. Great job.

Scott Lux
10-04-2012, 4:34 PM
I'm with Cruz on this one. There's not much to critique. Form and finish are great. I like the rounded over rim. I'm a fan of tung oil, so I can't even critique your choice there.

Steve Schlumpf
10-04-2012, 9:45 PM
Toby - that is one good looking bowl! Really like the form and rounded lip! What else you got?

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Really nice bowl. Really like the simple form and the thickness is good.