PDA

View Full Version : Tote/knob for Veritas LA block plane?

Michael Ray Smith
10-03-2012, 11:12 PM
My Veritas LA block plane sees more use than any other plane I have. I have all the blades LV sells for it and the chamfer guide, and I use all of them. Well, everything except the toothed blade, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it any day now.

I just bought the tote and front knob for it. I tried them out, and I just don't like them very much. It feels as if I don't have much control with them, but maybe I just haven't given myself enough time.

Just curious about the experiences of others.

Chuck Tringo
10-04-2012, 6:01 AM
Mine stay on the plane full time, I use it more as a small smoother and love them. If you are using it as a block then they won't allow as much control per say, however it makes a fantastic LA smoother with the tote and knob. My go to block plane for quick softening of edges and trimming tasks is the smaller Veritas apron plane, which I also love.

Chris Griggs
10-04-2012, 8:19 AM
I have the knob but no tote. I go in phases where I leave the knob on full time and but other times won't use it for quite some time. Just having the knob on keeps it as more ore less a block plane but gives you some nice power and control when using it two hand to flush up joints, or clean up small areas of tear out. You can still use it one handed with the knob on also, but lately I've been preferring it with the knob off. If/when I get an apron plane or other slightly smaller block, I will probably leave the knob on full time and use it as a large block/small smoother. I think about getting the tote sometimes, but I like that with just the knob I can use it as a small smoother, but not need to take anything off for more general block plane work. I'd say if your on the fence just order the knob, its less than $10 and should give you some insight as to whether or not you would enjoy having the tote.

One last thing. I once asked Rob Lee about the tote sizes (large vs. small) and he recommended that I get the small tote regardless of hand size, that the small works better for the type of smoothing one does with such a small smoother and that the vast majority of people prefer the small. Of course, since I don't own the tote I can't say whether or not I concur with this statement, but its some food for thought.