PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggest project you ever had?

ralph blanco
10-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone!

A question is bothering me here: How big is big? How would you describe a huge build?

I'm working on a dining table right now and I consider it big, considering that I'm new to woodworking.

How about you? What's the biggest project you ever had?

Todd Burch
10-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I built out a 15' x 17' study. Cherry and walnut everything, from baseboards to ceiling beams. Took 6 months.

Jay Jolliffe
10-04-2012, 4:27 PM
My house. Two story Cape design. 2,000 sq ft....took 2 yrs & still not done...About 90 percent done. When work gets slow I do a little more...

Larry Browning
10-04-2012, 5:01 PM
I too am working on a big dining table. It is a 6ft diameter round table. It is not so much the size of the thing it is the challenge/difficulty level that has me going. I am attempting many techniques that I have never done before. I think if it were rectangular I wouldn't even be worried about it. If I manage to get the top done, which is the main thing I have been working on, I then have to figure out how to make a circular apron for it, then I have to make these massive leg assemblies. On top of all that, this is one that I designed myself (with lots of help for Dave Richards). So I don't have detailed instructions on construction techniques. Plus, the materials are really expensive and it will be pretty costly if I screw it up and have to buy more.

Mike Henderson
10-04-2012, 5:04 PM
My wife says that I'm the biggest project she ever had. It's still too early to know if she's going to say the project was a success.

Mike

Kevin Groenke
10-04-2012, 8:52 PM
I'm currently working on a sculpture with Jason Hackenwerth that is ~10' x 10' x 28' comprised of 38) 4x8 sheets of 3/4 ply cnc cut into 363 individual parts, all dry fit joinery, no fasteners. Aside from construction projects I've had a hand in, this will be the largest single piece I've fabricated.

Bill Edwards(2)
10-05-2012, 1:50 PM
I'm currently working on a sculpture with Jason Hackenwerth that is ~10' x 10' x 28' comprised of 38) 4x8 sheets of 3/4 ply cnc cut into 363 individual parts, all dry fit joinery, no fasteners. Aside from construction projects I've had a hand in, this will be the largest single piece I've fabricated.

A butterfly coming out of it's cocoon???

Trever Williams
10-05-2012, 3:19 PM
I built this barn. Its 20' x 30'. My dad helped me put the metal on the roof. I did the rest of the work myself.

Jeff Duncan
10-08-2012, 3:24 PM
My largest so far was a bar for a local restaurant. It was a curved bar that took up most of the available space in my shop to build. I think the overall length was over 20' and the width around 13' or so! That was a lotta fun:eek:

JeffD

Carl Beckett
10-08-2012, 3:45 PM
I guess my shop. Pounded every nail myself. Contracted the excavation but built my own concrete forms. Finished the slab myself with one hired grunt. Not to mention the design, paperwork, building permits, etc.

And on the other end a batch of chairs. They arent as large physically, but seem to be taking every bit as long......

( I do have these three children that are a work in progress, but thats another hobby - and might help explain why some of these projects take so long!)

Ole Anderson
10-09-2012, 12:07 AM
My computer hutch with a pull out desk top, which was the first sizeable project after I got my Grizz TS. Did it on a bit of a dare from my wife. It was fun, but I don't care to take on something quite that big again. From American Furniture Design plans.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/CJ7ole/IMG_0015.jpg

Matt Meiser
10-09-2012, 8:39 AM
Biggest would be my parents kitchen in terms of the amount of work. Mine is about the same size, but I had all the drawers and doors made so it cut a considerable amount of time from the project. With theirs, I was also the consultant for a lot of the decisions on remodeling the space as well--they gutted a a 1960's addition, moved/added doors and windows and completely rearranged the layout. Mine we pretty much kept the same layout with tweaks and just made very minor electrical changes, drywall repair, new paint, and new floors.

Most challenging, probably either a big entertainment center I did early on in my woodworking "career" just because it was big for me at the time, or the dining table I built for my parents because of the sheer size (almost 10' long fully open) coming up with a base design, and doing the bent-lamination aprons which I'd never done before.

My shop I finished out the interior myself with some help along the way from family and friends for various projects but there's nothing "fine" about the woodwork there! :D

Myk Rian
10-09-2012, 9:16 AM
Not BIG by any means, but it took the longest to build, and turned out to be bigger than I thought it would be. Which wasn't a bad thing at all.
My tool chest.

Roger Pozzi
10-09-2012, 9:36 AM
When I decided to pursue woodworking I wanted to learn as much as possible. So, deciding on a computer desk, I waited until a jointer and thickness planer fit the budget then found the best price on rough oak. I learned a lot about raised panels, joinery, template routing, not to mention anger management. After almost a year, this was the result.

Good thing I did this first. The economy, reduced income, downsizing, and early retirement now has me making boxes and other small articles in my limited space. But, I learned. That is what I set out to do in the first place.

Greg Hines, MD
10-09-2012, 3:25 PM
The biggest project that I ever built was a built-in bookcase/entertainment center at my parents house about 20 years ago. It ended up being about 15' wide, and 13' tall.

Doc

Mike Cutler
10-09-2012, 4:15 PM

Wow!!
That's a beautiful sculpture. Well done!

Alan Bienlein
10-09-2012, 6:54 PM
I would have to say this one. It was my first veneer job (24 sheets 4 x 8) and also my first for turning the 4 columns at the fire place.

Alan Lightstone
10-09-2012, 9:35 PM
820 lb patient. Man that was a project.

Tim Janssen
10-09-2012, 9:42 PM
A 38ft ketch. 7years, 10640 hrs.
A long time ago'

Tim

Michael W. Clark
10-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Finishing our basement to include workshop, full bath, and wetbar. Almost complete, staining and finishing the wetbar cabinet doors now.