PDA

View Full Version : Seed Saving Anyone?

Jim Koepke
10-03-2012, 4:33 PM
Recently my poll about tomatoes made me wonder how many others save seeds.

We save seeds from just about anything we like to grow. Food plants and flower plants are fun to grow from seed. My wife even likes to save and grow tree seeds.

I used to even carry small parts bags in my wallet incase something in the wild caught my eye.

Anyone else save seeds?

Any seeds in particular?

jtk

Mike Null
10-03-2012, 5:20 PM
That brings back some memories. We used to do that when I was a kid. I'm 75. Always vegetable seeds and melons.

Ryan Mooney
10-03-2012, 6:22 PM
Did when we had a place for a garden but no garden the last 6 years :(. Some seeds are harder to save than others. Stuff I remember having trouble with:

Dill and fennel, they would cross to form an odd flavored "dinnell' think
Tomatoes, probably because we had to many varieties.
Squash, they were usually ok but sometimes interesting crosses.

I'm also a fan of self propagating plants. Potato onions are great as are walking onions. The walking onions imho are great spring green onions when you plant the top onionlettes.

Also always saved garlic, leeks, potatoes, jerusalem artichokes, etc.. for replanting. Would always try to save the biggest/best of those and after a couple of years you have a semi-variety that does really well at your spot :D

Jerome Stanek
10-03-2012, 7:31 PM
Hydrib seeds do not produce the same fruit. They revert back to the dominate trait.

Gary Max
10-03-2012, 7:35 PM
I have been working on a hillside of wild flowers for the last couple of years----- the soil is so poor I ain't having much luck but I keep planting seeds.

Mel Fulks
10-03-2012, 8:11 PM
For a situation like that I recommend the H.L HUDSON seed catalogue .They sell only non hybridized seeds. Has no photographs , just a few drawings. Real interesting stuff from all over with descriptions of traditional uses and folk lore.

Belinda Barfield
10-04-2012, 4:00 PM
I do, even though I currently don't have much room to plant. I have a good friend who is also a seed saver. She is the author of a new book that may be of interest to you. Here is the link to her website. http://janisseray.weebly.com/ The title is The Seed Underground, the Growing Revolution to Save Food. If you have the opportunity to hear her speak, don't miss it! We're doing the best we can to fight GMOs. I have about 9 cups (that's a lot, trust me) of Wild Trumpet Creeper seed that I need to share with someone. I have to mail out some packets this weekend as a matter of fact. I'm also saving Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato seeds (love them) and green striped cushaw seeds this year.

ray hampton
10-04-2012, 6:35 PM
I have been working on a hillside of wild flowers for the last couple of years----- the soil is so poor I ain't having much luck but I keep planting seeds.

did you try goldenrod ? what are the flower that the highway crew planted on the side of Xpressway

Art Mulder
10-04-2012, 8:54 PM
For any Canadians on the forum... My wife is a member of Seeds of Diversity (http://www.seeds.ca/en.php), which is dedicated to preserving biodiversity. They teach people how to save seeds, and facilitate people growing and saving seeds (and sharing/trading seeds!) from rare varieties. I would think there is a similar organization in the US.

Paul Saffold
10-04-2012, 8:54 PM
My wife does. Flowers & vegetables of all kinds. We have 2 peach trees from pits she saved and started indoors. Can't keep the deer away from them though. We just planted 2 apple seedlings last week.It will be interesting to see what variety they are. They were seeds from Macs. Check back in 3 or 4 years.
Paul

Dennis Peacock
10-05-2012, 9:43 AM
Yes we do and we finally have a tomato plant that does really well here in my garden spot.
We also save okra, pepper, and several others.