PDA

View Full Version : New vs used table saws

Derek Voigt
10-03-2012, 1:25 PM
So since I had to cancel my Grizzly 1023RLX table saw order after being on back order for 8 weeks and finding out that it was going to be another 6 weeks on top of that, I am doing the whole new vs used debate.

There is a robland mult tool for sale in my area but I'm concerned about the overall size of it. I have a 2 car garage, but actually put a car in one half of it. Bit I don't know a lot about these tools and the stuff I do know sometimes raises more questions.

There is also an old unisaw as an option. I have always looked at these but the lack of a riving knife has held me back. This saw, in particular, does have a guard, and I could always install those add on spliters.

Am I putting too much value on riving knife considering the other options that are out there? I'm annoyed that I finally got the nerve to pull the trigger on a saw and now I'm back at square one.

Thanks for the input!
Derek

David Kumm
10-03-2012, 1:30 PM
Real can of worms here. The riving knife is probably the most important add on you can have. Having said that I'm a used saw fan and can make alternative splitters work for almost every cut. Not as handy but as long as it serves to keep the kerf from closing it works. Look at 12-14 and PM 72 in addition to the uni and 66. Dave

Cary Falk
10-03-2012, 1:58 PM

Am I putting too much value on riving knife considering the other options that are out there? I'm annoyed that I finally got the nerve to pull the trigger on a saw and now I'm back at square one.

Thanks for the input!
Derek

I had a Uni with a splitter and sold it for the G1023RL with the riving knife. The spliter was ok but I found that I didn't use it as much. The riving knife is so much nicer to use and it is in the saw 99.999% of the time. I can understand your flustration with the backorder. It sucks to have to wait for a tool. Good luck in your search.

Mike Henderson
10-03-2012, 2:14 PM
The riving knife is a real advantage. Prior to getting my SawStop, I used a saw without a splitter or riving knife. Having the riving knife is not only safer but gives you better cuts when the wood is not well behaved.

Mike

glenn bradley
10-03-2012, 2:16 PM
The absence of a riving knife is the only thing that makes me even think about getting a different saw. I would be reluctant to bring any new (or new to me) saw into my shop without one.

scott spencer
10-03-2012, 3:46 PM
A riving knife and splitter essentially perform the same task, but the riving knife is a more elegant solution IMO, and has a few advantages. The most significant difference is that a RK doesn't need to be removed for non-through cuts, so it's more likely to be in place to do it's job. A RK also tends to sit in closer proximity to the blade.

There are some very good aftermarket splitters available for older saws, and there's also the B.O.R K retrofitable riving knife and blade guard that fits most older Unisaws.
You can go to the B ORKstore.com

Jeff Duncan
10-03-2012, 4:36 PM
I'm going to look at it a bit differently and leave out the riving knife for a moment....what's the better tool for the job? I've used a lot of machinery including a variety of different saws, and I haven't found much in the "new inexpensive Asian copy" category that measures up to older well built equipment. Only my opinion, but a Powermatic 66, General, Or Delta Unisaw are going to be better quality tools overall. Now there's a lot of guys out there who seem to be content with the Grizzly offerings and that's fine. I doubt you would find anyone who believes they're a better quality tool however, and that's my only point.

Next question is do you have the ability/desire to do mechanical work on older machines? Granted cabinet saws are as easy as it gets to work on, but none-the-less you'll eventually need to replace arbor bearings, or replace motor bearings, or....??? So this has to be accounted for as well.

So once you answer these questions the riving knife part may or may not be quite as big a factor as you at first perceived? So my experience for what little it's worth is 2 used Unisaws (54' and mid 70's), and a used 12" Wadkin. I've supported myself with these saws for over a decade now and found them all to be great tools. As far as the splitter goes....the Beis style snap in splitter works pretty well in the Uni, and is really fast to pop in and out as needed. That's my two cents to help out with your "new vs used" debate.

good luck,
JeffD

Carl Beckett
10-03-2012, 6:24 PM
Ok, this might blow the thread up and something you have already went through, but I think my next saw will be a saw stop. Even incremental safety improvements hold high priority to me in my old age.

Riving knife is next best thing

Then splitter

(and assuming a quality blade guard?)

Or even dust collection ( which I categorize as a health hazard) - which is more important, a riving knife or dust collection?

Worms. Can. One each.

Terry Therneau
10-03-2012, 7:05 PM
I own an older Unisaw, and my solution has been a zero clearance insert with a wood splitter added to the insert. It's easy to do: after cutting the slot in the ZC insert in the usual way (raise the blade), use a handsaw
to extend it just a little bit, add a hardwood slat, and glue it in. This leaves the splitter close to the blade. Mine's about the cross section of a paint stick and 3 fingers tall; make it the same thickness as the slot. I had to sand it a few strokes to dial it in after glue up, but now I have something that exactly matches my blade.

The advantage is that it's on the saw instantly any time I use the ZC insert, which I do for everything except the ocassional dado. No wrench, no fuss.
Having it always there is a major plus both for safety and control of the wood: once I'm 3" into a cut I no longer need to hold things tight to the fence.

And I'll add a vote for the Uni. Mines a 1949, solid, smooth, will easily outlast me. The "1 HP" motor is about what a modern store would call a 2.5 or 3 --- it's the continuous load HP rather than the "stall and smoke point" HP.

Terry T.

Julian Tracy
10-03-2012, 7:20 PM
I also got an older vintage Unisaw, a '46. Main thing bothering me is the lack of T-slot miter slots - makes for lessened capability with crosscutting. And I'm in my basement, so I don't prefer to use my mitersaw for crosscutting as the dust is all over the place, whereas with the Unisaw it's fairly well contained.

So if you buy used, buy new enough to gain the T-slot - it's worth having.

JT

Kyle Iwamoto
10-03-2012, 9:21 PM
I'm guessing that budget is a consideration? My $0.02 would be to consider a new Uni/PM or Sawstop. They are all excellent saws, have modern safety features and dust collection. IMO the table saw will be the center of your shop, and if you need to stretch your budget, this is the place to plink down your hard earned dollars..... I don't think you'll regret purchasing any of the 3 saws. I'm old and with Carl.... Safety is at the top of my list.

Jim Andrew
10-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I have an 04 uni that I purchased new, 3hp. The guard that came with it was junk, and I replaced it with a shark guard, with splitter. Only way to go. Not only is the guard much better, but it has dust collection. I have several Grizzly tools and like them. Expecially my 9983 thickness sander.

Derek Voigt
10-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Right, budget is a consideration. If I had $3-4k to spend I would look at the new delta or sawstop... Which is why I order the grizzly, and am now looking at used ones again.

thanks for all the thoughts so far!

Carl Beckett
10-05-2012, 6:13 AM
I saw a recent rockler flyer that had a Laguna table saw for about the same money as that Grizzly.

I wonder if it is a riving knife?

Might be something to check out....

scott spencer
10-05-2012, 7:09 AM
I saw a recent rockler flyer that had a Laguna table saw for about the same money as that Grizzly.

One of the Laguna saws comes from the same factory and is nearly identical to the Grizzly G0690. I think all new saws made after 2008 require a riving knife in order to be UL987 approved.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cyEjpgd3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0691.jpg

Derek Voigt
10-05-2012, 7:42 AM

Yea I saw one in the paper, but it was a 1.75HP and I was looking for something in the 3HP range. I haven't looked to see if they make a 3hp, although my guess is that it would be over $2k

Jim Andrew
10-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Have you talked to Grizzly about another model similar to the 1023? That is available? Might check craigslist, saw a nice Grizzly on the Wichita site a while back.

Derek Voigt
10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Well just to add more confusion to the mix, I just received a notice that my saw shipped today.... So it looks like I will be getting my new Grizzly after all. I'm just glad that it didn't shop on Monday because I was going to go look at a 20 year old Unisaw this weekend.... what a roller coaster!

Cary Falk
10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I guess I am confused because you said you cancled your order. You will love the saw. It will cut wood every bit as good as the Uni you were going to look at You know the rules. Pictures and update when you get it.

Derek Voigt
10-06-2012, 12:41 PM
I guess I am confused because you said you cancled your order. You will love the saw. It will cut wood every bit as good as the Uni you were going to look at You know the rules. Pictures and update when you get it.

Yea I did cancel my order... but apparently they referenced a different order that wasn't mine. Some how they mixed up the order even though I had the order number in the subject and kept the email history in the response.

So if someone ordered a P1028Z2026 Upper Bag Support you may want to double check your order.

Guy Belleman
10-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Due to military moving, I have had a unisaw, a Grizzly 1023SL, and now a Grizzly 0690. All good saws. I think you will be happy with the 1023. I am glad the delay dates weren't quite accurate.

Derek Voigt
10-12-2012, 8:53 PM
All set up and tuned in! Just need to cut a whole for my router in the extension!

Cary Falk
10-12-2012, 9:20 PM
Are you happy with your choice?

Derek Voigt
10-12-2012, 10:01 PM
So far, so good. I've only done a few test cut with it, but it runs strong and smooth! I set it up with minimal issues. I have a stack oh 8/4 wood that I can't wait to cut through with the 220v motor! I might try to do a more detailed write up for my blog

scott spencer
10-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Sweet looking setup. Congrats!