PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone, new here

Toby Bouder
10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
I have been turning for about 9 months now and have benefited from reading this forum. I retired about a month ago and now have lots of time to devote to turning. I have enjoyed viewing the pictures posted here and have gotten lots of ideas form them. I think it's time that I posted some of my work for C&C. I think this is dogwood, it is from a dead stump that I got 4 small bowls from. This one is 4"h x 5"w. I hope the pics show up ok!

Toby

Rick Markham
10-03-2012, 1:15 PM
Welcome to the Creek Toby! Looks like a beautiful bowl to me! :)

Tim Rinehart
10-03-2012, 1:43 PM
Welcome Toby. Congrats on your retirement and having plenty of time to turn. This is a fine bowl, and definitely dogwood. I just got some large chunks of it and love the pink hues in it. This piece has loads of character.
Look forward to seeing more of your work too!

Roger Chandler
10-03-2012, 2:04 PM
Welcome to the "Creek" Toby.........looks like your first jump into the water "turned" out nicely! Pretty bowl!

Allan Ferguson
10-03-2012, 3:08 PM
Looking good.

Alan Trout
10-03-2012, 3:52 PM
Welcome,

You are doing very good for a new turner. Just keep up with the practice.

Alan

Josh Bowman
10-03-2012, 4:25 PM
Toby, welcome. Look forward to your next turnings. Your bowl looks great. Congratulations on the retirement.

Toby Bouder
10-03-2012, 6:49 PM
Thanks everyone, I will post more pics. Retirement is great so far!

Toby

Mike Cruz
10-03-2012, 8:39 PM
Toby, first of all, welcome to the Creek. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have, and learn more than I have...;)

Since you asked for C&C, here's mine:

BEAUTIFUL wood. I mean, I don't know how often dogwood spalts like that, but man, that's the cherry on the sundae! One of my pet peeves is seeing tool marks. Now, I don't know if it is because the pics aren't too detailed, but I don't see any, so kudos there for attention to detail. Next, is the shape. Too "conical" for me. I've found that a bowl that is a section of a circle flows the nicest. It becomes more difficult when the bowl is as tall (or close to it) as it is wide...then the walls get close to vertical. THAT is a preference, though. So, don't take that as a slam, just how my eyes see it. Next would be how the inside curve follows the outside curve. Especially hard with a steep sided bowl because you need the bottom to be somewhat flat. So, how to make the wall thickness even when the curves aren't exactly same...hmmmmm, yeah, that's a tough one. Usually, that means that there will be a differnce, but you have to make sure it is further down the sides than fingers can reach. ;) Looks like you made the walls evenly, but then have an abrupt change to the bottom. Stands out like a sore thumb to me. But again, that is just me.

Bottom line is that if you are making this for resale, no buyer would ever notice the "critiques" I have. They would notice the overall size and the figure in the wood...that's it. What I am commenting on is what another turner sees. And each one of us sees something different.

Hope that helps you in your journey.

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2012, 9:48 PM
Welcome to SMC. Pretty good looking bowl.

Toby Bouder
10-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Toby, first of all, welcome to the Creek. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have, and learn more than I have...;)

Since you asked for C&C, here's mine:

BEAUTIFUL wood. I mean, I don't know how often dogwood spalts like that, but man, that's the cherry on the sundae! One of my pet peeves is seeing tool marks. Now, I don't know if it is because the pics aren't too detailed, but I don't see any, so kudos there for attention to detail. Next, is the shape. Too "conical" for me. I've found that a bowl that is a section of a circle flows the nicest. It becomes more difficult when the bowl is as tall (or close to it) as it is wide...then the walls get close to vertical. THAT is a preference, though. So, don't take that as a slam, just how my eyes see it. Next would be how the inside curve follows the outside curve. Especially hard with a steep sided bowl because you need the bottom to be somewhat flat. So, how to make the wall thickness even when the curves aren't exactly same...hmmmmm, yeah, that's a tough one. Usually, that means that there will be a differnce, but you have to make sure it is further down the sides than fingers can reach. ;) Looks like you made the walls evenly, but then have an abrupt change to the bottom. Stands out like a sore thumb to me. But again, that is just me.

Bottom line is that if you are making this for resale, no buyer would ever notice the "critiques" I have. They would notice the overall size and the figure in the wood...that's it. What I am commenting on is what another turner sees. And each one of us sees something different.

Hope that helps you in your journey.

Mike, thanks for the critique. I agree the wood is the best attribute of this piece. This was one of my earlier bowls and I am working on form. I have lots of wood and lots of time and hopefully lots of help from you guys.

Toby

Steve Schlumpf
10-04-2012, 7:04 AM
Toby - Welcome to the Creek! Beautiful wood in this bowl! I think you did pretty good on the form - especially for turning for only 9 months! I like the slanted rim - which shows me you are already thinking beyond the basic form. As Mike pointed out - maybe a little more of a curve to the walls... but all-in-all, this bowl is pretty nice! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!