PDA

View Full Version : Full Spectrum / Hurricane Lasers

Walt Langhans
10-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either Full Spectrum or Hurricane Lasers. They both look pretty similar and are priced pretty close so I was wondering about quality and customer support from them.

Thanks!

Bob A Miller
10-03-2012, 1:22 PM
Walt

Some nice work you have there. I am new to lasers as well but have a family member with two lasers, an Epilog & a full spectrum. I have to say I would try Hurricane as John at least looks like he offers support & participates on the forums.

While Full Spectrum has picked up the phone they haven't done much for the family member with there unit & there problems. His FS has a retina board in it & it has caused them a lot of grief.

Myself, I have a Gwieke just finishing being built. All the best with your kick starter.

Bob

Dean Barber
10-03-2012, 5:07 PM
check with legacy lasers also. They have been around a lot longer and have 2 year warrantys on their machines. Looks like most of things from Hurricane and FS charge as optional come standard or cheaper with legacy
There are a few other people on here that have them too.

Walt Langhans
10-04-2012, 9:19 AM
Thanks for the 2 cents. I'll defiantly check out the legacy as well.

Ross Moshinsky
10-04-2012, 9:59 AM
You should also look into importing directly from China. There is a very large cost savings from doing so. If you purchase with a credit card, it limits a lot of the risk involved as well.

stefano panusa
10-05-2012, 12:39 AM
I started off really liking my FS hobby laser. The email and phone support was crucial for me to get it up and running (having no experience). However, they force expensive hardware upgrades when they release new software. After buying the machine, I've already had to upgrade the controller board once just to get new software features. Now they've come out with another hardware update, and a new hobby machine with a larger cutting area. And no discounts for upgrades either.

Dennis Rech
10-08-2012, 1:32 AM
I started off really liking my FS hobby laser. The email and phone support was crucial for me to get it up and running (having no experience). However, they force expensive hardware upgrades when they release new software. After buying the machine, I've already had to upgrade the controller board once just to get new software features. Now they've come out with another hardware update, and a new hobby machine with a larger cutting area. And no discounts for upgrades either.

I have had my 40 watt Hobby Pro for almost two years and have not had any problems with it at all. It has made hundreds of items and has run well over 100 hours. Other than needing a serious realignment of the optics when I received it and a few 5 minute realignments afterwards, it has been trouble free, even the exhaust fan and air and water pumps have been trouble free. I have installed all the software updates and have not needed any hardware updates. This thing uses a for real print driver that just keeps getting better and better even though there was little wrong with the original software. I would have been satisfied using the original software. All the updates have been free and take all of 2 minutes to install.
I cannot quite see why anyone would expect free hardware updates. If I had a two year old computer, I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to provide free hardware updates just so I could use Windows 8.
The one aspect of the company that could sometimes use a major upgrade is in its "bedside manner." Sometimes one is greeted with cheerful professionalism and other times it's total douche bag.
One other thing that needs upgrading is the warranty. 60 days is pretty pathetic. Considering the $500 replacement price of a 3 square inch Retina Card, it should be one year on electronics.
It would give the company a lot more credibility.
Just my two cents,
Dennis

Douglas J Miller
10-08-2012, 10:19 AM

I've had my Full Spectrum 40 watt hobby laser for a year and a half, and I love it. There is a chance that some of the older control cards will not work with the software updates, but it's worth it to upgrade the card, and it's a one time thing. The software/print driver was real good when I got the machine, and is moving into the fantastic range. I can go from a design idea in corel to cutting it out in literally minutes. I don't see how it could be made a simpler and still do everything that it does.
I consider the Full Spectrum a 'halfway' laser. It's somewhere in between an U.S. made laser and the Chinese ones. A lot of it comes from China, but it goes to Full Spectrum before it comes to you. They make their changes and additions, and then you buy it from them. It adds a bit of cost, but you get so much more it's well worth the extra. The print driver is where it really shines against a straight from China laser. You won't find it wanting for much.
My rap up: If you can't spend the big money for an American made laser, skip direct from China and go Full Spectrum. It's well worth what they put into it.

Walt Langhans
10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the info, as usual you guys have given me good stuff to consider. Anyone have anything to say about Hurricane?

Donald Ethredge
10-09-2012, 1:37 PM
I have had my Hurricane Hugo for several months, I must admit really don't use it as much as I really need to been working on setting up a new showroom, but when I have it has worked like a charm. And when I have had issues or at least software related issues or configuration questions I have had no problem talking to someone at Hurricane. And since I have purchased mine they have increased the amount of information available on setup and settings to a point that I don't see there being and issues.

And I have even seen them respond to post helping out non customers, that is not something you see very much of these days.

Earl Cox
10-09-2012, 2:15 PM
You might also check with Ray Scott, he sell Rabbit lasers.

Mark Smith61
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
If you're still following this thread, I recently picked up a Hurricane Ivan 60 watt laser. I did a lot of research before buying it and I looked at Epilog and quite a few others. Although I've only had it running for a few days, I'm very happy with it so far. The people at Hurricane went out of their way to work around my schedule. I went to Vegas to pick it up and receive training. I spent almost a full day with Larry and he showed me everything we could fit in during the day. I also attended the ARA Convention while there and went to some of their classes.

I do understand you can try an import a laser directly from China and maybe save some money, but for the extra money Hurricane does all that for you. They also get the machine and set it up and make sure everything works. The crated it back up for me and put it in the bed of my pickup. I got it back to the shop and it works great without any further adjustment. I'm a happy camper so far.

Rich Harman
02-06-2013, 11:49 PM
I do understand you can try an import a laser directly from China and maybe save some money, but for the extra money Hurricane does all that for you.

Importing is not for everyone, but for those that go that route the savings are substantial (huge) and a good broker makes it a pleasant experience.

I paid about $7,000 (including shipping and customs etc.) for my 80W 1600 x 900 Shenhui machine (with spare tubes, power supplies, drivers, lens etc.). That is $10,000 less than the equivalent Hurricane 48x36 Laser (which is a smaller machine).

Gary Whitehair
02-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Importing is not for everyone, but for those that go that route the savings are substantial (huge) and a good broker makes it a pleasant experience.

I paid about $7,000 (including shipping and customs etc.) for my 80W 1600 x 900 Shenhui machine (with spare tubes, power supplies, drivers, lens etc.). That is $10,000 less than the equivalent Hurricane 48x36 Laser (which is a smaller machine).

Can you provide the name and contact information for your Broker? Thank you for your help.

Rich Harman
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Can you provide the name and contact information for your Broker? Thank you for your help.

Sure, check your private messages.

Nicholas Ferrara
02-18-2013, 1:12 PM
Many of the US sellers don't even stock lasers, they just ship them direct from the factory to you. They get a price break on the laser, pay a customs agent to do all the work and charge double the price of the laser for some tech support. I am not saying all US sellers do this, but one even states this is their business model on their website! It is not that hard to import products, the customs agent does all the work. We import products for business, but this is the first time importing a large piece of equipment, but the process is not difficult. Like someone said the hardest part is sending off a large sum of money and waiting 5-6 weeks for your laser. That should be easy for me since I send large checks to Australia 3-4 times a year and wait 3-4 months for product delivery.

Ross Moshinsky
02-18-2013, 2:22 PM
Many of the US sellers don't even stock lasers, they just ship them direct from the factory to you. They get a price break on the laser, pay a customs agent to do all the work and charge double the price of the laser for some tech support. I am not saying all US sellers do this, but one even states this is their business model on their website! It is not that hard to import products, the customs agent does all the work. We import products for business, but this is the first time importing a large piece of equipment, but the process is not difficult. Like someone said the hardest part is sending off a large sum of money and waiting 5-6 weeks for your laser. That should be easy for me since I send large checks to Australia 3-4 times a year and wait 3-4 months for product delivery.

There is a fairly large risk when importing. You do a wire transfer and once that money is gone, it's gone. If you buy from a seller in the US via credit card, you have protection. Even if you buy via check or wire transfer, at least you can seek some sort of legal action and possibly get your money back. The process of importing isn't that big of a deal. Pay for the item. Contact a custom agent. Wait 8-10 weeks and you'll get your product. It's the lack of security buying directly from China via wire transfer which is the biggest issue.

Rodne Gold
02-18-2013, 2:50 PM
Ross , yes buying from any overseas co can be angst filled , especially if they dont speak your lingo
However Shenui and maybe some others do paypal these days..a large measure of protection.
At any rate , I would suggest you investigate the co you buy from , ask to see various certificates, see if they gold alibaba suppliers , most reputable ones will have all their credentials on display. Google earth their factory premises , get references and so on.
For Eg
http://shenhuilaser.en.alibaba.com/company_profile.html
and then
http://shenhuilaser.en.alibaba.com/company_profile/trustpass_profile.html
and
http://shenhuilaser.en.alibaba.com/company_profile/certificates.html

As always , when large sums of money are involved , be careful out there.

Ross Moshinsky
02-18-2013, 3:17 PM
There is no doubt there are many reliable sellers from China. I'm just saying there is a risk involved in buying from China and it's not really about the importing. It's about getting what you purchased and if you didn't, what are you going to do about it? Buy from a US seller with a credit card and you have reasonable protection. Wire transfer to China and you're sitting around with your fingers crossed hoping things work out. If you buy a Chinese laser and it just isn't right (which we all know sometimes happens) are they going to send me a brand new machine on their buck? Sending a stepper motor or stepper driver out is one thing. Major issues are a completely different issue.

Nicholas Ferrara
02-18-2013, 4:17 PM
There is a fairly large risk when importing. You do a wire transfer and once that money is gone, it's gone. If you buy from a seller in the US via credit card, you have protection. Even if you buy via check or wire transfer, at least you can seek some sort of legal action and possibly get your money back. The process of importing isn't that big of a deal. Pay for the item. Contact a custom agent. Wait 8-10 weeks and you'll get your product. It's the lack of security buying directly from China via wire transfer which is the biggest issue.

My customs broker charges 1% to insure the entire amount of a shipment. It even covers shipping expenses. $40 for insurance, or an extra $4000 for someone else to drop ship the laser to you. My biggest issue now is choosing Gweike or Shenhui, the creek seems to favor Shenhui while the zone favors Gweike (If you can filter out all of the salesman posts over there). I thought Gweike was the bigger company, but according to Alibaba Shenhui is larger.

Ross Moshinsky
02-18-2013, 4:39 PM
My customs broker charges 1% to insure the entire amount of a shipment. It even covers shipping expenses. $40 for insurance, or an extra $4000 for someone else to drop ship the laser to you. My biggest issue now is choosing Gweike or Shenhui, the creek seems to favor Shenhui while the zone favors Gweike (If you can filter out all of the salesman posts over there). I thought Gweike was the bigger company, but according to Alibaba Shenhui is larger.

They are insuring the shipment from what I understand. They are not insuring you don't buy a lemon.

Let's be clear, Gweiki and Shenhui both have reasonably good reputations. Your product should be more or less what you want. I just think people should understand that if something goes wrong and you're doing a wire transfer, you're relying 100% on reputation. You have no legal recourse. This is why some people buy from US resellers.

Mark Smith61
02-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I can tell you Hurricane lasers has the laser shipped directly to them in Las Vegas. They uncrate it and make sure it's all alligned and working. I was told they also make some of their own modifications to the laser, but I didn't ask exactly what they did. Once they are done with they crate it back up and ship it to you, or in my case I went to them and picked it up.

Ron Philman
12-23-2013, 9:14 PM
There is no doubt there are many reliable sellers from China. I'm just saying there is a risk involved in buying from China and it's not really about the importing. It's about getting what you purchased and if you didn't, what are you going to do about it? Buy from a US seller with a credit card and you have reasonable protection. Wire transfer to China and you're sitting around with your fingers crossed hoping things work out. If you buy a Chinese laser and it just isn't right (which we all know sometimes happens) are they going to send me a brand new machine on their buck? Sending a stepper motor or stepper driver out is one thing. Major issues are a completely different issue.

I can tell you from experience that what you see on a Chinese laser site or Alibaba is not indicative if what you might get....if you even get it. I worked with a "reputable FDA" Chinese laser supplier to import a machine early this year. I used a broker that I'd used in other business imports so I felt confident..

First, the post sale communication was bad. And the machine took 9 weeks to import.

Second, once it arrived at the dock my broker informed me that the supplier did not have an up to date FDA accession number so the machine would not pass customs. The chinese supplier said they were currently approved - only in Europe. Besides, FDA approval isn't necessary anyway?! They advised me to simply change the invoice to "engraving machine" and omit CO2 so I wouldn't need FDA approval. Really? I told them forget that and get FDA approved...and Quick. After 5 days storage fees started racking up. They never did get their FDA approval updated in time so after working with an attorney I realized my best way out was to let customs ship it back.

I Kissed off $5,500.

All that to say a good customs broker helps but it can't make up for a bad supplier. I did buy via. US company -not Hurricane, but I do not recommend importing on your own.

Dan Landrum
02-26-2014, 2:20 PM
I'm confused ...

If I try to go to: http://HurricaneLasers.com it resolves to: http://fslaser.com/ which is Full Spectrum Laser.

The URLs http://WLasers.com and http://HurricaneLasers.net both resolve to: http://World-Lasers.com which states, "© 2014 World Lasers," but has the contact info as: Hurricane Lasers LLC, 5275 S Arville Rd #328, Las Vegas, NV 89118

At: http://www.worldlasers.com/ there is also a "World Lasers, Inc" in Reading, PA 19607, which appears to have nothing to do with Hurricane Lasers.

Who's who? And why? In this thread I saw that Full Spectrum sued Hurricane Lasers and won and apparently assumed the rights to the HurricaneLasers.com URL. But why is the Hurricane brand now being sold under a pre-existing laser company's name, World Lasers, without identifying the relationship?

Ron Philman
04-19-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm confused ...

If I try to go to: http://HurricaneLasers.com it resolves to: http://fslaser.com/ which is Full Spectrum Laser.

The URLs http://WLasers.com and http://HurricaneLasers.net both resolve to: http://World-Lasers.com which states, "© 2014 World Lasers," but has the contact info as: Hurricane Lasers LLC, 5275 S Arville Rd #328, Las Vegas, NV 89118

At: http://www.worldlasers.com/ there is also a "World Lasers, Inc" in Reading, PA 19607, which appears to have nothing to do with Hurricane Lasers.

Who's who? And why? In this thread I saw that Full Spectrum sued Hurricane Lasers and won and apparently assumed the rights to the HurricaneLasers.com URL. But why is the Hurricane brand now being sold under a pre-existing laser company's name, World Lasers, without identifying the relationship?

I was looking at their Storm hobby laser at one point but did a little background check.

In short Hurricane Lasers recently lost a big lawsuit to Full Spectrum. Its public record. I don't know what he did but it must have been pretty serious. The owner worked for FS, quit, then he moved down street to start Hurricane. In the end FSL was awarded a $2.7M judgment and now looking to get paid. Looking at court records it appears judge permitted FS to take a big asset...the hurricanelasers.com site. The owners filed bankruptcy and now Hurricane is working under world-lasers.com (not sure why since worldlasers.com out of PA has been around for years). So, FS is chasing world-lasers.com and looks like one of his kids too? Wish em the best but I think Hurricane will be battling this for years.

Bill George
04-19-2014, 12:43 PM
The story I found online and it must be true since its published on the internet ;) The lawsuit was filed and Hurricane lacked the resources to fight it in court and just de-faulted. So FS instead of just saying oh well we will never collect decided to go after the money. Since FS has such a wonderful online reputation to uphold they found yet another way to make money??

Donovan Smith
04-19-2014, 3:46 PM
I bought a 100 watt lased from Ruiji. I wanted to import it myself but I decided not to do it and go with the agents. The agent cam to my house to do some personal training and we found that the laser tube got damaged during the transport.They changed it out free. They also gave me a different focal length lens free.

If I imported it I would have been in real trouble

Donovan

Bill George
04-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Who is "from Ruiji" a vender or FSL sales person?

Dave Sheldrake
04-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Who is "from Ruiji" a vender or FSL sales person?

Jinan Ruijie Mechanical Equipment Co., Ltd.

Another Chinese rebrander Bill :)

cheers

Dave