PDA

View Full Version : Sign Advice

Ernie Martinez
10-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm trying to bid on a job for 30 signs. Below is a photo of a sample sign made on painted PVC with vinyl lettering. The customer wants either raised or relief lettering (concerned about people peeling off letters). The sign is 11"W x 8"H x 1/2" thick. The only thing I can think of is using a Rowmark type material glued to a PVC backer and then routed to get the beveled edges and scalloped corners. My biggest problem is color matching.

I've read on this list that we shouldnt engrave PVC in our lasers. What would be a suitable alternative?

I considered reverse engraving 1/2" clear acrylic and then painting, but not sure how well that would work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Martin Boekers
10-03-2012, 2:35 PM
I don't see your photo?

Ernie Martinez
10-03-2012, 4:01 PM
Duh! I should try uploading it shouldn't I?

Mike Null
10-03-2012, 4:36 PM
I would use a brushed gold/black and engrave it from the front. If you have to make it 1/2" thick glue a backer to it.

Martin Boekers
10-03-2012, 6:25 PM
If you decide to do cut letters, make a template with the letters sized and positioned
then it's easier to put the down straight & square. That way you can put the letters in
the holes you cut. Also when I do this type of work I use the "best" double stick and
cover the whole bach plastic that you are cutting that way you have full contact.

One last thing, make sure the paint has fully cured before you stick the letters down.

Mike had the most effective way use plastic!

vic casware
10-03-2012, 7:20 PM
This probibly won't help if you don't have a vinyl plotter
but I would reverse cut the vinyl, stick on back of clear acrylic and back spray color
then the letters can't be peeled off.

Joe Pelonio
10-03-2012, 9:31 PM
This probibly won't help if you don't have a vinyl plotter
but I would reverse cut the vinyl, stick on back of clear acrylic and back spray color
then the letters can't be peeled off.
I agree, and would use non-glare clear. Then I apply a scrap of any color vinyl on the back to protect the paint from getting scratched when mounting to the wall. I would not recommend small times new roman bold for laser cut letters,
the serifs will not keep their shape or adhere well.

Jake Harris
10-04-2012, 10:56 PM
I might be missing something but why not use Rowmark gold/clear reverse material and black paint fill them?