PDA

View Full Version : Pen Finish Question

Jason Christenson
04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Up till now I have finished every pen that I have turned (A grand total of 4!) with the Shellawax that I got along with all of my other start up stuff from Penn State Industries. I like the way that these look but am starting to wonder about my other options. I am curious what everybody else uses. Economically speaking I probably won't be able to actually try anything else until the Shellawax I already bought is used up. Of course if the bottle was to "accidentally" get knocked over.....:D. Seriously, what other (good) options do I have?

Jason

Tom Mullane
04-16-2005, 3:02 PM
Come on over to penturners.org and do a search on finishes and you will find more information than you ever wanted ... LOL... along with a whole lot of opinions...
Pick what you thing will work for you.... I use two different finishes depending on the wood or material being turned....

Jeff Sudmeier
04-16-2005, 3:23 PM
I either use a CA/Blo finish or an acrylic spray finish. The cleary acrylic goes on fast and easy! The CA/Blo (Boiled Linseed Oil) I use when I need the gap filling qualities of the CA. (Super Glue).

Harry Goodwin
04-17-2005, 5:37 PM
I'm surely no expert but have used triple E and shelly wax on dark pens and wood following a coat of CA glue smeared on. If I have a light pen I have had trouble with darkening and use mylands sanding sealer and build up polish and watch the sanding and they stay clear and gossy. At the price of shelly wax don't spill it. Ha, ha. Harry

Keith Nielsen
04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Jason,

I'm also no expert, but have had great results everytime with a product called Hut Friction polish. Hut sells in online or you can get it at wood craft. On wood pens it just makes the grain stand out so much more. On antler I use CA and then an acrylic sealer. I guess it depends on the type of pen your dealing with.

what ever you do spill the bottle its fun to experiment with new stuff now and then.

Keith