PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 150 Mitre Box Color Scheme?

Caleb James
10-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I have noticed the Stanley 150 has a few different color combinations. Some are black with red lettering while others may be blue with yellow trim. Is the blue/yellow combination representative of a later production date? Is there a a point in the production history where quality of components may start to decline. Basically, is the color variation a reliable way to determine age/quality or am I completely off base with this thinking? Thanks.

Bill Houghton
10-03-2012, 3:30 PM
I believe the blue/yellow ones are later production. I don't know if the quality fell off, and, if so, when.

Caleb James
10-03-2012, 4:49 PM
Thanks Bill. That's what I figured as well. Mainly wondering if the casting quality is equal to that of the older models (also, the saw clamps look to be a different material?)

Bill Houghton
10-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I should say: I owned (an older) 150 for a while and ultimately let it go. I was not much impressed with it, as it lacked the rigidity of the larger, two-post boxes like the Millers-Falls Langdon boxes (Stanley took a different approach to a similar effect, and many others did too). If all you ever cut is picture frame molding, the 150 might be suitable - although I'd look at how to polish and wax the flat surfaces of the saw carrier, as they tended to bind on my example.