PDA

View Full Version : Picture Matte ideas?

Bob Rath
10-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I have made a number of 8 x 10 photo mattes with a 5x7 opening (often as gifts for newborn baby pix) . I normally just raster the name, birthdate and other particulars in standard matte board. I use masking paper over the entire matte to prevent discoloration of the matte, but I still get the normal laser discoloration in the rastered letters and around the edge of the vector cut 5x7 opening.

I have played with fonts that I can vector cut, but all I have found are stencil type fonts and that isn't too cool for baby pix.

So...my questions are.. Does anyone have have any samples of picture mattes that they are proud of that I can plagiarize....does anyone have a better material than matte board that might work better and finally, does anyone have a font(s) that could be vector cut which are less military/stencil looking?

Thanx

Luann Brainard
10-07-2012, 2:55 PM
I have made a number of 8 x 10 photo mattes with a 5x7 opening (often as gifts for newborn baby pix) . I normally just raster the name, birthdate and other particulars in standard matte board. I use masking paper over the entire matte to prevent discoloration of the matte, but I still get the normal laser discoloration in the rastered letters and around the edge of the vector cut 5x7 opening.

I have played with fonts that I can vector cut, but all I have found are stencil type fonts and that isn't too cool for baby pix.

So...my questions are.. Does anyone have have any samples of picture mattes that they are proud of that I can plagiarize....does anyone have a better material than matte board that might work better and finally, does anyone have a font(s) that could be vector cut which are less military/stencil looking?

Thanx

We do picture framing also, so if you need mat openings cut with the white bevel, we can help you out...PM me if your interested in exploring that option. The mat cutter also can cut clip art and letters. What in particular where you looking to do with letters?
Luann

Rich Harman
10-07-2012, 9:25 PM
Hey I have a Wizard too. Iv'e even done some engineering work for them. Which model do you have?

vic casware
10-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I have started to do some engraving on Matte boards for a local picture framing company,
I find the same with white matte board, but the silver and gold lasers almost perfect white.
the Vector still discolours a bit but the lettering is fantastic.
I would try different colours.

Steve Clarkson
10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I would stay away from white, but two tone mattes engrave nicely.

Linda Tetreault
10-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Check out Colorado Heirloom, they have some great ideas & some CD's with patterns.

Jiten Patel
10-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Bob - you can make any font "stencil" like - just convert to outline and cut them in strategic places so that the text stays together when vector cut. We use this all the time for our work: