PDA

View Full Version : what are the most commonly used materials and what colors?

Calvin thompson
10-02-2012, 7:54 PM
Hello everyone! I am getting a laser this month and would like to know form all you experts, what are the most commonly used materials and what colors? So if I had to buy some to start and make some money back what direction should I go? And could you also tell me the best suppliers for the things you use most. Thank you all for all the info.
Thanks

Joe Sanchez
10-02-2012, 8:31 PM
Calvin,

Congrats on the new laser, please list the info so people on the forum know what you have if you ever have a specific laser question in the future. As for the materials a little digging into this forum's past threads will help you with that. I myself have used anything from wood, acrylics, paper, rubber, glass, jeans, and anything else I could get my hands on (never PVC). Experimenting is the key, find out what you like working with. Join an organization such as ARA (if you plan on being in a profit-making business). As for materials, go to Laserbits, Johnson Plastics, and other business who supply stock. Your laser rep (if your laser is new) should have provided you with that information as well as sample packs to try out your new laser. Most important really get to know your laser, (how it works, how to clean it, and how to maintain it). Don't forget to install a solid exhaust system, will help a lot in keeping your laser clean.

Anyone else, please chime in. I probably missed many more important points. Lastly, get really well with your graphics software, so much time is wasted if you don't have a good grasp of how to work with your software. I am not saying you have to be an expert but know how to get around it and know how to print with it (essentially that is what a laser is - a giant printer). I have to assume you ordered a CO2 laser, since you are asking about materials.

Best of luck.

Mark Sipes
10-02-2012, 8:47 PM
Welcome to the forum. Your location, laser type/power and software is very helpful to us......and any other equipment you may be using in your business venture. I use Laser steel brass and Rowmark plastics for a majority of my laser work. Don't go overboard filling the shelves until the orders stat coming in. Hopefully you have a list of suppliers both giftware and engraving material and they are no more than a day or two shipping or better yet, down the street..... Retail, wholesale or hobby?

Joe Pelonio
10-03-2012, 7:54 AM
It really depends on the kind of work you do. I use a lot of 1/4" acrylic, mostly black and clear, some 1/8" clear, and one big regular job with 1/16" ABS. The Rowmark I use is a lower percentage of my jobs but requires a good assortment of colors. All is available locally, cut to size for my machine.

Calvin thompson
10-03-2012, 8:39 AM
Thank you guys! I am getting an 80 watt Rabbit 1200 x 900. I am not sure how to put it in my signature but thanks and i hope to here from more.

Mark Sipes
10-03-2012, 8:25 PM
Upper Right of web page "settings" "My Signature"

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Calvin,

The more important answers are to questions that have yet to be asked... What is my business plan? Who are my intended (& future) customers? Why did I purchase the laser? Once you have those answers, then you will have a much better idea of what supplies to purchase.

The most important answer of all ... and we have all been there ... is to start at the very beginning of the forum posts (dated 2003) and read forward.

James A. Wolfe
10-15-2012, 1:10 AM
Calvin,
I'm a hobbyist and not in it for the money but I remember how excited I was when I got my laser. This is a double edged sword. The best thing about lasering is all of the things you can do. The worst thing about lasering is all of the things you can do.Mike is correct when he says that your business plan should guide you to what materials to use. If you're going to do signage, then there's a wealth of info here regarding that. If you are going to be doing keepsakes or ornamental type items, there are people here who will aim you in that direction. I spent a buttload of money when I started by going to Laserbits and buying a bunch of their sample kits. A lot of fun but totally wasted. I have a lot of it left since I found what interested me and the rest is sitting on a shelf. Anyone want to buy a bunch of stamp making rubber? Anyway, spend some time thinking about your plan and surf this forum as much as you can. Take a class for the software you'll use and remember to have fun.