PDA

View Full Version : Pre-gloat...DigiScale for the Planer

Jim Becker
04-16-2005, 10:00 AM
I was remarkably restrained yesterday while walking the isles at the Ft Washington "pro show"...a lot of big iron, hardware, etc., but very interesting. I'll post some pictures later of some of the gear.

That said, I did make one small purchase...a DigiScale Model 20 (http://www.digi-kit.com/digiscale.htm)to be used as a readout for the planer bed on my MM FS350 jointer/planer. Once it arrives and I can get it installed, I'll post more pictures. BTW, the note on the web site that says. "not recommended for machinery" is because these lower cost units are not shielded from RF and putting them too close to a motor may affect accuracy. That should not be an issue with this particular tool. The much more pricey ProScale (http://www.proscale.com/) products are supposedly better if that situation is true, according to the sales guy.

Anyway, the readout displays in decimal inches, fractional inches (to 1/128") and metric...that should cover the bases!

http://www.digi-kit.com/images/Digi-Scale20.jpg

Matt Meiser
04-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Cool!

They also make them for the most common lunchbox planers.

http://www.digi-kit.com/digiplaner.htm

Mike Wilkins
04-16-2005, 11:36 AM
congrats on the new tool. This looks like a great addition to my combo J/P
machine, as I don't trust the built-in scale on mine.
Please let us know how this works out, as well as installation tips/tricks.
Also, where is the best place to order one??
Good luck and watch those fingers.

lou sansone
04-16-2005, 12:00 PM
hi jim

glad to see you purchased this digital readout. I have been thinking about buying one or two for my planer and widebelt sander. They look pretty decent. We will all be interested in how you make out. I had also toyed with the idea of using some of the inexpensive digital calipers and fixturing them on my machines. I use them in my shop for thickness measurements and they work pretty good and they are immune to sawdust.

best wishes
lou

Matt Meiser
04-16-2005, 12:06 PM
I had also toyed with the idea of using some of the inexpensive digital calipers and fixturing them on my machines. I use them in my shop for thickness measurements and they work pretty good and they are immune to sawdust.

My dad mounted a set of calipers on his mini-mill and loves it. Seems like a cheapo set from Harbor Freight would be perfect for a woodworking application as I can't imagine them being far enough off to matter with wood.

Jim Becker
04-16-2005, 3:05 PM
Also, where is the best place to order one??

Direct is the only way, as far as I know...

Dan Forman
04-16-2005, 4:25 PM
Jim---I will be watching this thread with interest too.

Matt--- can you describe what your dad used, and how he rigged them?

Dan

Matt Meiser
04-16-2005, 6:31 PM
Matt--- can you describe what your dad used, and how he rigged them?

Actually, I can do better than that. I'm at their house right now so I went out and took a couple pictures.

He drilled a hole through the fixed head to mount the top to a fixed part of the machine. The bottom is clamped in a block of aluminum on the moving part (sorry, not good with the names.)

I think he has them mounted so that 1" is "0." with at least some digital calipers, you can set zero at any point along the slide. This would be even easier than what he did.

Dan Forman
04-17-2005, 3:27 AM
Matt---Many thanks, in this case a picture is worth 10,000 words :D

Dan

Alan Turner
04-17-2005, 5:00 AM
Jim,
Keep us posted on how well this works. Do you plane a piece, and then measure it, and then set the digital toy? Do you need a particular model for a particular tool, or wil it work on any planer? I have a 4 post 20" guy, and that would sure be handy.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-17-2005, 7:42 AM
Very cool Jim! Watching the digital readout on the big planer sander at Hardwood LC is fascinating. Congrats!

JayStPeter
04-17-2005, 9:52 AM
Jim,

I've been considering upgrading my lunchbox planer lately. One of my favorite features of my Ridgid is the depth stops. It makes getting an exact thickness piece to fix a mistake easy. It seems to be a feature missing on larger planers.

Please let me know how this solution works in solving the same problem.

Thanks,

Jay

Jim Becker
04-21-2005, 9:44 PM
The Digi-Scale for my FS350 arrived today...conveniently packed in a 4' section of 4" PVC sewer pipe! The product looks great and I'm looking forward to installing it on the machine. The one challenge will be cutting down the rail cleanly to best fit the planer, but there are instructions for doing that. Because I wanted the version that didn't require the rail to slide, I went with Digi-Scale-20. Unfortunately, that means it comes standard with a 4' rail...about 3' longer than required for the machine. But, hey...I have more rail for any potential future tools! Here are some pics of the packaging, the unpackaging ;) and the business end of the product. The display is large and easy to read.

I will start a separate thread relative to the installation since I feel that it is no longer a "pre-gloat" at that point!!

Chris Pasko
04-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Very nice Jim! Cant wait to see some install pics, and please do keep us posted with how well it works.

Good to see you at the show as well!

Jim Becker
04-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Good to see you at the show as well!

SO...did you buy that $41K Martin slider? :) Yes, it was nice seeing you again at the show and meeting your lovely companion.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Very nice Jim! Looking forward to seeing it in action and hearing how you like it. New tools are big fun.

Chris Pasko
04-22-2005, 2:35 PM
SO...did you buy that $41K Martin slider? :) Yes, it was nice seeing you again at the show and meeting your lovely companion.

Haha, not yet =), just dropped too much dim eont he format equipment! Maybe next time! You can help me load it!