PDA

View Full Version : Help with Photo

greg lindsey
10-02-2012, 4:05 PM
I have a customer who wants his macbook engraved with the attached photo, less the black background. Is this a decent picture quality for engraving and if not does anyone know someone to hire to make it so. I don't do much "art" work , mostly industrial, so this is out of my scope of work. Thanks for any replies and or help.

Martin Boekers
10-02-2012, 4:53 PM
If they sent you a digital file, look and see what the file name is then do a Google Image Search of that.
Then you can expand the search for "similar" or "more sizes" Sometimes you get lucky and find a better one.

Mike Null
10-02-2012, 5:19 PM
I would invert that picture and run a test on glass if you have some. The MacBook will engrave to an off white.

Bill Overturf
10-02-2012, 6:28 PM
X5 has a great plugin in photo paint for resizing images. If I get a chance tonight I will write up a walk through. It doesnt work on all images but I think it would do great on the image you posted

greg lindsey
10-02-2012, 6:52 PM
Thanks Bill. Anyone got suggestions for speed and power on a 60 watt for the macbook (hate these one shot deals). Don't really want the job, but got kinda committed.:rolleyes:

Gary Hair
10-02-2012, 7:22 PM
If no one has any better advice, I always say to start at 100% speed and low power. For anodized aluminum, like the macbook, low may be 5 or 10%, for wood low may be 30 or 40%. You can always bump up the speed and/or run it multiple times to get the desired results. You could also use whatever settings you use for anodized aluminum but reduce the power to maybe 1/2 of what you normally use and plan on running it more than once. Make sure you hold it place so you can rerun the job with confidence that it didn't move.

Gary

Bill Overturf
10-02-2012, 9:59 PM
Here is how to resize your photo with out losing quality. As is your image is 156 dpi and 2.769W X 4.154H. I'm not sure what the overall size you will need is so we are going to make it 10 inches tall at 300 dpi and you can adjust from there. Select the image blick on bitmaps-resample check the box that says maintain original size. Now click on the down percentage button until you get the dpi to 300 (quick hint with this photo its 52%). Click ok your image is now 1.44H X 2.16W but its the 300 dpi we need. Now click on edit bitmap so photo-paint will open. After photo-paint opens click on File scroll down to File Format Plug-Ins go to export then PhotoZoom Pro 2 (if you have never used this it will tell you there is an update). After PhotoZoom has opened change the 2.16 to 10.0 or what ever size you need. Click OK and you will be asked to save the file. I always save under a new name so I have the original. Import the new file into Corel and bam your done. For whatever reason it is telling me my version isnt registered so it put a watermark in it. But if you zoom in on the eyes of all 3 you can really see a difference. Let me also say that the PhotoZoom plugin was not available before X5 but I believe it can be bought as a stand alone product but I'm not sure. If any one knows if this is still available in X6 please let me know. Ugghhh its telling me the file is to large. Any way around this?

David Rust
10-02-2012, 10:11 PM
...If any one knows if this is still available in X6 please let me know...

Bill, works great in X6.... thanks for the lesson!

Bill Overturf
10-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Hope it was easy to follow. one of those easy for me to do not so easy to explain. I need to learn how to make videos. Its the best way I have found to make an ok photo look pretty good when it is made larger. Glad to know it is still available in X6 now I might upgrade

Mike Null
10-03-2012, 6:56 AM
I just use my anodized aluminum setting.