PDA

View Full Version : How much is a new Powermatic 4224A worth?

mreza Salav
10-02-2012, 3:25 PM
As the title says, how much is a new Powermatic 4224A (not the newer 4224B model) worth?
I couldn't find what the going rate for it was.
Anything about this particular (issues/concerns) lathe I should be aware of? I'm not a avid turner (but do turning occasionally) and
would like to upgrade my junk lathe at some point.

TIA

Alan Trout
10-02-2012, 3:29 PM
I almost bought one a few years back that was like new and he wanted $2000. But I would say anything under $3500 depending on condition would be a good deal.

Alan.

Peter Elliott
10-02-2012, 4:07 PM
I would say $4k is the avg asking price.. a gloat would be $3000 . $2k is a steal.. of course the deal is better when it comes with a bunch of items like; chucks, tool rests, extension, etc. I looked around for sometime and that's what been out there on CL or ebay. One just sold on Ebay for $4k and another is listed for the same and those are new. Just like the 3520B, they both don't come up all that often.

The only problem has been the remote on/off switch. It get's dusty and fails. Right now I just have the 2 wires connected on my 4224 but PM is sending another switch.

mreza Salav
10-02-2012, 4:13 PM
The one I'm talking about is New (the one on Ebay), but I'll probably have to pay for shipping the 1000lb machine (to here in Canada).

Peter Elliott
10-02-2012, 5:07 PM
Just make sure their claim to 5yr warranty is valid. I would also say you want free ship as the ad says. I still think that is a good price. Can you do better? Sure if your willing to wait and see what condition the next 4224 is in. I would also suggest getting a hold of Sean at toolnut on a quote for a 4224B.. You'd be surprised how close you might be.

Ken Glass
10-02-2012, 5:13 PM
mreza,
I assume this is the one you are referring to. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermatic-4224A-Wood-Lathe-NEW-3Hp-1Ph-230v-/380480346494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589665597e. That seems like a good price and I thought about it. I have the 3520B, and decided it would do anything I needed and decided to pass on it. If you can get factory warranty, it is a great Lathe at a fair price. Good Luck.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-02-2012, 6:04 PM
You're NOT an avid turner and you're thinking of getting a 4224? I could only dream of that. I've turned on one and it is a very nice lathe..... Not much to think about, put in a good bid. Now is a good time since the B is out. The B does have the sliding headstock, but with 24" of swing, do you really want to turn something bigger? If I were in the market, I would be bidding. Hmm, maybe I should bid. I won't miss my wife that much. :eek: Good luck and happy bidding!

Reed Gray
10-02-2012, 6:54 PM
I would think that the older A models would not be worth as much any more because the B is a considerable step up. For me, I prefer the sliding headstock, which the B has, plus some other bells and whistles. For the amount though, I would still take the Robust American Beauty.

robo hippy

Gary Max
10-02-2012, 7:34 PM
You would need several friends that where well armed to haul my 4224 away for $4k. but that's just me.

Peter Elliott
10-02-2012, 7:55 PM
Reed, your not in the same ball field . 4224b is going to be about $6000. American beauty is at least that, so saying you would go to that is not even close. $2000 more is not just a small step.

Russell Eaton
10-03-2012, 8:03 AM
Peter the 4224b is a lot closer to the AB price than you might think. I believe it is closer to 7500$.

Peter Elliott
10-03-2012, 9:56 AM
Peter the 4224b is a lot closer to the AB price than you might think. I believe it is closer to 7500$.

That's the list price Russell, not street price. All you have to do is call Toolnut and you'd be suprised what he can do for a 4224B to your door. I am pretty sure that Robust pricing is fairly correct off their website. Except for some upgrade promotion they running now.

Russell Eaton
10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
I bought mine local and ended up REAL happy. I know the 4224A has a fixed headstock and for that reason I waited till the "B" model came out. It is a great lathe, only a couple small changes that I would like to have.

mreza Salav
10-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks, I had not noticed that the head stock is fixed. That makes it a bit awkward to turn bowls on for me (will have to go to the back of the lathe or use the out-board turning option).
Free shipping is only for US and the quotes I've got for shipping to Canada (with lift-gate-service) are a bit high for my taste....

Brodie Brickey
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I had heard that there was an issue with technical/parts support in Canada. I may be getting Powermatic confused with Grizzly though. I have the 3520A and have never needed parts, but if the warranty is void outside the US?? That would make a difference.

Personally, I would pass on the 4224A and look for a 3520B instead. You are only loosing 4" of swing, but you gain the sliding headstock and most of the advances Powermatic worked into the 4224B. I personally, rarely turn items larger than 16 inches, but I am focused more on mugs and wine coolers than really large bowls.

Darren Jamieson
10-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Here in Canada the 3hp Robust is just a little over $7000.00 before the 13% tax and shipping. (and you would probably still want the rool away tailstock adapter and outboard option, now your at $10000.00) That machine on ebay says free shipping but I am fairly certain that Canada is not included in that. The price that is there for that size of machine I would say that is a great price. I'd go for it if it weren't for my kids selfish needs (cloths/school) and the fact that I like my wife being around. Get bidding!!!!!

mreza Salav
10-03-2012, 1:27 PM
Yes, free shipping isn't for Canada (in fact he says no shipping to Canada). I've contacted seller and he agreed to give $150 off if I arrange pickup, but that's costing
upwards of $430 plus taxes and customs (if there is any). The fact that head stock is fixed is a deal breaker for me; I don't like to spend that sorts of money and have
a lathe with a feature that gets in the way of using it.