PDA

View Full Version : Log Home Construction Help

Keith Ratliff
04-16-2005, 5:02 AM
I need to find someone either willing to mill my eastern red cedar logs into 8X12 square T&G logs for my cabin project. I would like to either trade logs for the mill work or trade lumber. If you have or know someone who has a log milling rig email me reply to this or visit my home page and call my on the ground manager in Kentucky ASAP. Building this spring summer.

Keith Ratliff
04-16-2005, 8:40 PM
Ok I have come up with this idea from a member here. Mill my logs into 10X8's, 12X8's, 12X6's or 10X6's then using my cabinet saw and a couple of my guys run a dado on the top and bottoms of each log to take a plywood spline of 3/4in ply 2inches wide so the cut would need to be 1 and 1/8th deep in the tops and bottoms. I have search around the internet and this seems to be a great way to make cabin logs. Only thing I was wondering is should I bevel the outside corners on the logs to shed water better? And I am still open for other ideas. Help in this area is more then welcome. I got to have a new home tired of driving to and from the woodlot. 160 miles a day on my truck is starting to take it's toll. Email ideas to keith@ratlifflogging.com

Jerry Clark
04-16-2005, 9:08 PM
I saw them build a cabin on TV and I was amazed at what they went through to allow for movement of the wood after construction. Windows were built to float in the opening with lots of room (maybe 6-8 inches) . Plumbing and ducting was built with special joints to prevent breaking. You need to research a little more!:rolleyes: Good luck and be prepared for a lot of heavy work!

Keith Ratliff
04-16-2005, 9:30 PM
Jerry,

I have seen lots of cabins. This made me pick Eastern Red Cedar as a green log will shrink less then 1/4 when it is dried. Also most of the homes you see where they leave lots of room are pine logged or oak logged. They use them green too. As for the joints. I am not using any plumbing in the outside walls. I am using the stick built interior to hide the works.