PDA

View Full Version : OK...Am I over-thinking this???

Harold Burrell
10-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I am kind of looking at the Quik Hone Planer/ Jointer Blade Sharpener that is on sale right now at Peachtree. There is a video on the site ( http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_100212.htm ) that explains how to sharpen 3 blades with this jig that only holds 2 blades.

They recommend a total of 20 strokes on sandpaper per blade. In order to do that with 3 knives, it is required that you do 10 strokes with the 1st 2 blades, replace one and do 10 strokes more. You now have one blade that has gone thru the recommended 20 strokes. Replace that blade with the one you took out after step 1 and go 10 more.

Simple enough...

My question is this...WHY on the first pass would you go thru all the grits??? I mean, It would seem as though you would only do that for the final passes. :confused:

Peter Kuhlman
10-02-2012, 1:11 PM
I think the ideal way would be to do the blade changes every 10 strokes on each grit. Would be swapping blades around more often but less grinding on the blades. Yea I thought the exact same as you. Less blade changes but more wear on the blades.