PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good grinding wheel?

Matthew N. Masail
10-02-2012, 7:45 AM
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0204598

What's the difference between this aluminum oxide and a white one?

David Weaver
10-02-2012, 8:24 AM
The one one would probably have a binder that isn't quite as strong, though i can't tell from that wheel how strong the binder is because I don't see a hardness rating.

Less/weaker binder just means the grit releases faster and fresh grit is exposed more consistently, even if the abrasive itself isn't that different.

I don't know if all wheels are vitrified bond, but norton oilstones are vitrified, and some of the vitrified wheels are definitely hard enough that you have to grade them very often to freshen the surface.

Matthew N. Masail
10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks David, I saw on a different site that the stone are about an O hardness. should be aiming for an H? is there a good rang to stay within?

I ask because I can't seem to find a white wheel in the 46grit range

what does virtified mean? and does it matter if the hardness is in the range I want?

Derek Cohen
10-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi Matthew

$16 Australian http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/150-mm-diameter-x-25-mm-x-31.75-mm-38a46kvbe-grinding-wheel.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Weaver
10-02-2012, 12:49 PM
O hardness is pretty hard. If you're wanting a friable wheel that'll be easier to use, the wheel that derek posted would be better.

Matthew N. Masail
10-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks Derek! when I get home I'll check if my grinder can take a 1" wide wheel. if so I don't care if shipping is as much as the wheel I'll just get two and call it a done, I hate it when it's so hard to find something.

Matthew N. Masail
10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
O hardness is pretty hard. If you're wanting a friable wheel that'll be easier to use, the wheel that derek posted would be better.

I've never used a grinder for cutting tools before, so easy to use, fast cutting and maintenance friendly is on the top of my list, so I think softer is right for me. just for hollow grinding blades including HSS.