PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Chest

Gordon Eyre
10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
I just completed a blanket chest and wanted to share it with you here. I built it out of Oak plywood and solid oak trim and base. I still have to finish it but I am waiting on my son to determine what he wants. It has a soft close mechanism for the lid.

http://pbase.com/greyflash/image/146186087/original.jpg

http://pbase.com/greyflash/image/146186088/original.jpg

Will Boulware
10-02-2012, 9:45 AM
Very nice work. Post some finished pics when your son makes up his mind!! :D

Gordon Eyre
10-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Very nice work. Post some finished pics when your son makes up his mind!! :D

Thanks Will, it was a fun project to build. There are a lot of miter's to cut so I was happy to have a well set up SCMS.

Todd Burch
10-02-2012, 11:49 AM
It's amazing what you can do with plywood, door trim, glue and fasteners! Very nice!

I think the only change I would have made would have been to carry the trim all the way to the outside end of the case on the long sides (front and back), instead of doing that on the short ends (sides).

The proportion is nice. Height looks good. I like the base.

Overall, very good use of materials chosen!

Todd

Gordon Eyre
10-02-2012, 12:28 PM
It's amazing what you can do with plywood, door trim, glue and fasteners! Very nice!

I think the only change I would have made would have been to carry the trim all the way to the outside end of the case on the long sides (front and back), instead of doing that on the short ends (sides).

The proportion is nice. Height looks good. I like the base.

Overall, very good use of materials chosen!

Todd

Thanks for your comments Todd. Actually, I did not carry either one to the end but rather added a piece of quarter round on the corners. It really looks quite nice that way. Perhaps it is difficult to see that in the picture?

Maybe this view will make it easier to see:

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/146186086/original.jpg

Todd Burch
10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Ah, I see it now! Good idea!

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-02-2012, 1:15 PM
Gordon - that is very nice! I hope you post some pics after it has been finished.

Gordon Eyre
10-02-2012, 1:47 PM
Gordon - that is very nice! I hope you post some pics after it has been finished.

Thank you John, I will post pictures of the finished product.

Von Bickley
10-02-2012, 1:56 PM
Great looking chest.....When you post your next pictures, please add some pictures of the inside.

Andrew Hughes
10-02-2012, 4:46 PM
Looks great Gordon,And those miters are very close to perfect.Wish my scms cut like that.

Gordon Eyre
10-02-2012, 5:34 PM
Great looking chest.....When you post your next pictures, please add some pictures of the inside.

Thanks, I will add some pictures of the finished product. Not sure about the inside of the chest since it is just a big hole to put things in. Actually my grandson will use this as a toy box; however, my neighbor said it was too nice to call it a toy box so I dubbed it a blanket chest. :-)

Looks great Gordon,And those miters are very close to perfect.Wish my scms cut like that.

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate your comments. I started out cutting the miters on my table saw and was struggling a little so switched to my SCSM and they were near perfect every time. There was still a lot of fitting that went on from a length perspective. My SCSM is a Bosch and I actually won it in a wood magazine writing contest. It was not the actual prize but I talked them into it because I already had the tool they were giving away.

gary Zimmel
10-02-2012, 6:39 PM
Nice job on the chest Gordon.

Gordon Eyre
10-02-2012, 10:37 PM
J
Nice job on the chest Gordon.

Thanks Gary, I appreciate your remarks.

Mark Valsi
10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
very nice, I like the detail on the base

Gordon Eyre
10-03-2012, 10:36 AM
very nice, I like the detail on the base

Thanks Mark. I don't have a bandsaw so I cut it out with my jig saw. Takes longer but it works.

Paul Saffold
10-03-2012, 3:23 PM
Nice clean lines, Gordon. It should fit in with most styles of furniture.

Gordon Eyre
10-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Nice clean lines, Gordon. It should fit in with most styles of furniture.

Hey Paul, thanks for your comment.

Patrick Tipton
10-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Gordon, that is a nice looking chest. I have a soft spot for blanket chests and they seem to follow me home from auctions. Plan to build one someday. Hope it comes out as nice!

Gordon Eyre
10-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks Patrick. I will be putting pictures on of the finished project next week. I would have done that sooner but have been out of town and this delayed me getting it completed.

Gordon Eyre
10-31-2012, 4:01 PM
Here are the images that I promised to put on. My son decided to he wanted a natural stain on the project so that is what I did. After the natural stain I wiped on 6 coats of poly and then let it cure for a couple of weeks. Between each coat I used 0000 steel wool and then finished the final coat with a paste wax. You will note in the pictures that I used a soft close mechanism so that their children do not get smashed fingers (you will also note that I did not get it on right the first time and will have to fill the screw holes :-( I also put my mark on the inside of the lid along with a penny for the year.

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/147083178/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/147083179/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/147083180/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/greyflash/image/147083181/original.jpg

Paul Saffold
10-31-2012, 5:08 PM
Looks real nice Gordon. That's a nice touch with the penny.

Gordon Eyre
11-02-2012, 4:34 PM
Looks real nice Gordon. That's a nice touch with the penny.

Hey thanks Paul, the penny makes a good way for the recipient (usually a family member) to know when it was built. I think they appreciate that.

Joe A Faulkner
11-02-2012, 6:25 PM
Blessing family with your workmanship is terrific. I think signing and dating the piece is a great idea. I'm sure the chest will stay in the family for generations. Nice job!

Gordon Eyre
11-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Blessing family with your workmanship is terrific. I think signing and dating the piece is a great idea. I'm sure the chest will stay in the family for generations. Nice job!

Thanks Joe.

Cody Colston
11-04-2012, 1:35 PM
I've been following your build, Gordon, and I must say the chest turned out wonderfully. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that coin idea for establishing the date. That's a nice touch.

Gene E Miller
11-04-2012, 3:42 PM
Greetings & Salutations

Great looking chest and I am sure it will stay in your family for a very long time.

Gordon Eyre
11-04-2012, 11:04 PM
I've been following your build, Gordon, and I must say the chest turned out wonderfully. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that coin idea for establishing the date. That's a nice touch.

Don't mind at all. Just use a 3/4 Forstner bit and the penny fits perfectly. A drop of epoxy will hold it forever.

Greetings & Salutations

Great looking chest and I am sure it will stay in your family for a very long time.

Thanks Gene , I appreciate your comments.

Gene Harris
02-25-2013, 1:58 PM
What is a SCSM saw? Great looking meters and overall design.

Gus Dundon
02-25-2013, 2:51 PM
What a build! Heirloom for sure. Kudos for an outstanding work! Great piece!

Gordon Eyre
02-25-2013, 5:22 PM
What is a SCSM saw? Great looking meters and overall design.

Sliding compound miter saw.

What a build! Heirloom for sure. Kudos for an outstanding work! Great piece!

My son picked it up a few weeks ago and they love it. It was originally scheduled to be a toy box bit when they saw it they decided to make it a blanket chest. Thanks for your comment.

Ron Blaise
02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Nice chest, please post finished pics Gordon.

Jerry Olexa
02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Very nice results!! Good work..

Gordon Eyre
02-26-2013, 5:24 PM
Nice chest, please post finished pics Gordon.

See post #20 above.

Very nice results!! Good work..

Thanks Jerry.

Paul Cahill
02-26-2013, 7:07 PM
Anyone else not seeing the photos?

I am sure it's nice judging by the comments, Gordon, but I can't see it!

Paul

Jeff Monson
02-26-2013, 7:50 PM
Very nice Gordon, nice proportions and details. Time to start on another project? I bet it will be one that requires the use of a........band-saw perhaps? Again, well done, that's a family heirloom for sure.

Phil Thien
02-26-2013, 8:02 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread before. Glad it got resurrected.

So how are the corners assembled? I see you mentioned the quarter round, what kind of joinery was used?

It looks great, BTW.

Brad Cambell
02-26-2013, 8:47 PM
Very nice work. I especially like how the dimensions are perfectly proportioned.

Jack Lemley
02-26-2013, 9:34 PM
Very nice work Gordon!!

Jack

Jim Matthews
02-26-2013, 10:10 PM
How were the feet made?

Sam Layton
02-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi Gordon,

Great job on the blanket chest. I know your son will enjoy it for years to come. Be sure and post finished photo's. Also, no more jig saw for you... That new bandsaw will sure come in handy...

Sam

Gordon Eyre
02-27-2013, 6:44 PM
Anyone else not seeing the photos?

I am sure it's nice judging by the comments, Gordon, but I can't see it!

Paul

Paul, I am not sure what the problem is since everyone else can see them. I'm perplexed.

Hi Gordon,

Great job on the blanket chest. I know your son will enjoy it for years to come. Be sure and post finished photo's. Also, no more jig saw for you... That new bandsaw will sure come in handy...

Sam

Thanks Sam and all the others that commented as well. See post #20 for the finished pictures. Yippee about the bandsaw!

Jim, the base was cut out on a jig saw and table saw. The joints were mitered and a square block of wood was glued in each corner and fastened with screws to give the joint strength.

Scott T Smith
02-28-2013, 7:17 AM
Very clean Gordon! I like your utilization of rift sawn lumber as well.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-28-2013, 5:20 PM
How were the feet made?

I was wondering the same thing....