PDA

View Full Version : CorelDRAW X6 license

David Rust
10-01-2012, 8:08 PM
I just purchased CorelDRAW X6 from Amazon.
After installation the top of the window states "Not for commercial use".
There was no indication in the ad that this was a "student" or "home" version. The DVD, the sleeve and the outer package also does not indicate it is a student/home version.

Has anyone run into this? I filed a question with Corel so they can look at my serial number and let me know what I have...

Now I'm grumpy, I think I am going to have to cancel my cc transaction, file a complaint with Amazon, and try to get the correct version...

grrrr.....

Gary Hair
10-01-2012, 10:19 PM
How much did you pay for it? Was it supposed to be a full version or an upgrade?

Joe Pelonio
10-01-2012, 10:48 PM
It will be interesting to see what they say. The student version does not come with Corel support, in addition to not being for commercial use. I just looked at Amazon and they do have both the Educational for $89.99 and what looks like the full $499 version for $377.

Mark Sipes
10-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Well if it were an upgrade then he must have had to have X4 or X5 for use to be eligible ($199) Full version going for $499 now

Scott Shepherd
10-02-2012, 8:22 AM
It might be an OEM version. I bought a copy of CorelDraw from someone on Sawmill Creek some time ago. It all seemed to work fine until I went to plot something and some things were not available. I couldn't figure it out. I found the issue well documented and it was because it was an OEM version of the software (one you'd buy when you buy it with a new computer). Apparently it was limited in it's use. Since then, I've seen a number of threads where people bought it and had the same issues.

Search on the disc and see if you see the letters "OEM" anywhere. If so, then that's probably the issue.

David Rust
10-02-2012, 8:36 PM
Hi All,
I contacted the seller on Amazon and he was surprised that it had the "Not for commercial use" on it. I made it very clear to him that this version is useless to me since I will be using it for my business... He asked his supplier and is now replacing the program for me. I didn't quiz him on why the version I received had was like this... that's between him and his supplier. I will say that I am pleasantly surprised that the seller has been very responsive to my questions and has followed up. I now just hope the correct version shows up this week so I can get it installed.
I also asked the question to Corel, no response... weird... I got the "we received your email and will respond in 12 hours..." email, however I haven't heard anything and its been 24hours...
I'll let you know how I make out... :)

Ronald Erickson
10-02-2012, 8:54 PM
Glad the third party seller is being responsive. Any particular reason you didn't just buy directly from Amazon vs. a third party seller on Amazon? I'm looking to pick up a copy soon but I'll wait until the price drops back down (I missed it when it dropped to $303 the week of Sept 23).

David Rust
10-02-2012, 9:15 PM
It was a purchased directly from Amazon... or so I thought... It was dropped shipped from another seller for the $303... then the price dropped to $287 a day after I bought it, the seller refunded the difference, no questions asked. The package got lost in the mail, 4 days after the estimated due date I contacted the seller, he apologized and refunded me $20 for the trouble. It showed up a week late, I installed it, had the issue with the "note" and now the seller is going to replace it. Hopefully with the full version. This guy has been very responsive so far, I hope the new one is the correct version...

The DVD does not say "student" or "home" and appears to be functionaing 100%... just that "note" at the top.... The DVD looks genuine, it came sealed with the serial number on the flap for installation. It installed just fine. I dont think the "Not for commercial use" note was on the top of the screen until Corel Service update 1 installed.

David Rust
10-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Ron,

Corel verified the copy I have is an "educational" version. Functionality is identical to the full version however it has the "Not for commercial use" note at the top. It showed up in a sealed DVD package, but without the box. It appears that the Educational version disk was removed from the box (box states Educational version) and was sent as a "Full version"... A replacement is in the mail, I'll let you know if it is the full version. If it is not a Full version I will be asking for my $$ back through Amazon and will give appropriate feedback to the seller, and complain about the seller directly to Amazon... and let everyone here know who the vendor is...

Ronald Erickson
10-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Dave,

Yea, that doesn't sound like a legitimate operation the seller is running. While it certainly could be that the seller himself was duped by his distributor, that's not your issue to worry about. If the replacement isn't kosher, you should have no issue at all going through Amazon to get the situation resolved (Amazon is very good with customer service issues).

I'm making a guess that Corel ships 1 disc and then differentiates the version based on the installation key you enter. You can probably download the trial version directly from Corel and then just input the key and the software will reconfigure to the key that you've entered. You may need to contact Corel with the new installation key (once it arrives) to verify it's the full commercial key and not just another educational key.

EDIT: I see that Amazon has CorelDRAW X6 for $337 this evening (down from $382), in stock and available directly from Amazon (vs. a third-party seller). Regardless of the outcome with the third-party seller, be sure to leave feedback on Amazon with the third party vendor so others are made aware of the experience.

Martin Boekers
10-06-2012, 3:57 PM
Why not ask Corel directly if they'll match an advertised price. I did that recently with a Win Zip Program and they said they would.

Second thing on this Educational Softwares, most if not all can't be upgraded.

Lee DeRaud
10-06-2012, 5:29 PM
Second thing on this Educational Softwares, most if not all can't be upgraded.As I recall, the educational version also has the VBA/macro capability disabled, which makes it impossible to use most of the available (and quite useful) add-on packages.

Ernie Martinez
10-06-2012, 5:36 PM
I purchased my copy through Epilog, and I received the OEM version. Can someone elaborate on the problem with the OEM version.

Ruben Salcedo
10-06-2012, 6:12 PM
OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer", this version should not be for sale, if anybody is selling them they are doing it illegally, usually this version are bundled with hardware such computer systems or equipment such engravers, etc., Corel do this as promotion for they product hopping they will buy a full version down the road after they try and need more of it, usually this versions locks of VBA capabilities and are not eligible for upgrades.

Ruben

Ronald Erickson
10-06-2012, 6:40 PM
A little clarification on OEM copies. If Epilog sells the Corel software WITH hardware, then it's perfectly legal and the software is being distributed as it was intended. It is not illegal for Epilog to sell OEM software as they have a partnership with Corel, as do many other hardware vendors. (http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=800307&storeKey=us&languageCode=en)

As Ruben stated, OEM software is intended to be bundled with equipment. Typically it IS a full version of the software without limitations (though there are exceptions) but may have licensing restrictions that the retail copy may not have (for example, OEM versions of Windows are good for that one particular machine and cannot be removed and installed onto a different machine, however they are functionally the same as a "retail" copy).

If Ernie has a prior relationship with Epilog and has purchased a machine from a Epilog vendor, that vendor may be well within their licensing rights to sell an OEM copy of the software at a later date. On the other hand, someone selling OEM copies WITHOUT hardware may be breaking licensing agreements.

I doubt there is any difference in the OEM copy of CorelDRAW vs. a retail copy with the exception that that OEM copy may not come with a printed manual and may not be eligible for "upgrade pricing" on future versions. The educational version may indeed have limitations, but those limitations would most likely not interfere with the intended non-commercial use of the software. (OEM doesn't mean non-commercial use. It means it is to be sold with equipment by a partner of Corel, in this case Epilog.)

Since Epilog's list price for CorelDRAW is $329 (according to the email I received directly from Epilog), if it IS the OEM version it might make more sense just to purchase the full retail copy to ensure you can get upgrade pricing on future versions. Retail copies go for about the same price online.