PDA

View Full Version : Two more Powermatic 66 questions

Jerry Lawrence
10-01-2012, 7:20 PM
First, I'd like to say thanks to all who helped me with my previous PM 66 question about the motor cover. Cover is built and suction has improved, but.....here's my next question...If, instead of the clean out cover on the front, I put on a cover with another dust collection port, would that improve dust collection more or would it create a funky cross draft with the port on the back and actually make dust collection worse?
Now for my second, and more important, question. I've noticed, when using this saw, that the bearing holding the blade spindle gets very hot after a short time. It gets hot enough so that I can not hold my hand on it. I was wondering if this is a replaceable part, or if it is servicable in some way for lubrication or if there is some other solution to keep this from happening.
Thanks again in advance for any help!

Todd Burch
10-01-2012, 7:41 PM
Hi Jerry.

I have a stock PM66. A dust hose on the front access door would get in the way of my feet. No thanks. My rear hose is good enough for me.

My bearing never gets hot, even after cutting for hours. My saw was put into service 12/97. 5HP, single phase.

Todd

Kevin W Johnson
10-01-2012, 7:57 PM
Adding a second DC port shouldn't cause any problems (other than being in the way if mounted in the front). The idea is that the air being drawn thru the saw pulls the dust with it, thus keeping it from escaping into your shop.

As for the bearings, no, it shouldn't get hot like that. The bearings are replaceable, and can be bought aftermarket. There are two different types, wide and narrow. The type you need depends on date of manufacture. The newer saws use the narrow bearing, the older have the wide bearing. In either case, you need two bearings for the blade arbor.

Joseph Tarantino
10-01-2012, 8:50 PM
i wouldn't add a DC hose to the front door. my unisaw has a 4" port at the bottom of th esaw adn pulls air in through the door, across the floor of the saw and out the 4" port at the rear of the saw. aside from getting in the operator's way, it could cut off a source of make up air that carries the dust, as it falls from the table top into the saw, out the rear of the saw into the dust collection hose.

and hot bearings are almost never good sign. how old is the saw and are those the original bearings?

Kevin W Johnson
10-01-2012, 9:26 PM
Make up air on a PM66 won't be an issue. Around the blade, motor cover venting, tilt adjustment slot, areas between the cabinet and table top, and a couple others will allow for more than enough make up air. I'm not advocating putting a port in the dust door (the PM66 door is also solid unlike the uni door, so the only air is leakage around the edge) as I think it will be in the way. However, if you want to put in a second dust port elsewhere, it won't be an issue.

Jerry, just be sure you have blocked off the bottom of the cabinet, especially if your saw is on a mobile base.

Jeff Duncan
10-02-2012, 10:28 AM
The best setup I've found for cabinet saws is a 5" pick up on the bottom back of the saw and a 3" on the blade guard. Your still not going to get all the dust, but that's as good as I've found for these saws.

As mentioned if the housing is getting that hot something is very likely wrong. Bearings for these machines are inexpensive and much cheaper in the long run than if you continue to run it and do damage to the housing. I'd replace them before running it again and you'll have peace of mind that all is well for quite some time;)

good luck,
JeffD