PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Handles

John Aspinall
10-01-2012, 4:13 PM
I've turned a few circular-cross-section handles, for chisels and files. But a hammer handle should be (slightly, or not so slightly) oval.
Anyone got a favorite method? Offset turning? Spokeshave? And are there specific recommendations as to shape?

Kyle Iwamoto
10-01-2012, 4:32 PM
IMO would be faster and better to buy a handle you like. You also need the metal wedge(s) and the spline wedge. Just my $0.02 of course.

Ryan Baker
10-01-2012, 8:15 PM
To do it on the lathe, you need to turn it using multiple sets of centers. First turn it into a cylinder. Then offset it a bit and turn some off one side. Offset it the opposite way the same amount and turn off the other side. Offset in the direction that is to be the narrow dimension. Watch the shadow line to see how much you are cutting (put a light background behind it). The amount you offset determines the shape. With a little care, you can make a nice smooth oval. If you leave the head end centered instead of offsetting it, you will end up with a shape that tapers from oval at the tail end to round at the head end (or vice versa). Pick something in between if you want to control the amout of taper.

There are lots of other ways to make hammer handles, but they are better suited for the neander forum than the turning one.

Kevin Hampshire
10-07-2012, 3:06 PM
Go to PBS/Roy Underhill's "Woodwright" page and check for an episode called "Offset Turning" where he turned a handle for a hog sticker mortising chisel. Very similar to your hammer handle and I think he even discusses hammer handles.

I'm pretty sure you can watch the entire episode right online.

Dick Strauss
10-08-2012, 11:03 AM
The easiest way IMO is using the "Lost Wood Process". Basically you glue up three pieces of wood using paper joints to make the blank. Turn it almost round, remove the middle section, and glue the two outer halves together to make an oval handle. Your exact dimensions of the three pieces will depend on the desired finished handle size.