PDA

View Full Version : Old tools, a "little" better than money under the matress

Deane Allinson
10-01-2012, 4:07 PM
I have always picked up old tools as I found them over the years. I have always been a little selective with what I bought. I even pass over so so tools that were steals (partly because I didn't want to take the time to clean them up, etc.) I have always bought the best tools, from the best times, of the best brands. Pretty much developed a nice user collection and had many "spares".

For the second time over the years, I am having to raise some cash just to get by and am having to sell-off most of my vintage tools. Who needs 25 hand saws anyway? I also found that I had several very nice, rehab'ed tools that I had never used. My tool cabinet was stuffed.

To make a long story shorter, I have been able to sell almost every item for at least what I paid for them and most for a lot more. Several garage sale finds have sold for suprising amounts. I have had 1-2 exceptions, like an ugly noname saw that went for $1, I don't why I had it to start with (now someone else has the worn-out ugly saw and will wonder why too later).

Good tools are easy to sell at fair prices. I just stuck them on the bay with $1.00 start, no reserve, and a week later they all have good new homes.

When things get better, I will start up picking the old good ones up again as I need them or find them. Good tools are always there when you need them.

Deane

Joe Bailey
10-01-2012, 4:29 PM
Could not agree more with the title of your post.
It wasn't too long ago that I was trying to convince a certain someone of just that concept. (she didn't seem to see the wisdom of my financial insight).
Anyway, hope things get better for you soon.

Jim Belair
10-01-2012, 7:16 PM
...and a whole lot more satisfying.

Jim Koepke
10-01-2012, 8:09 PM
Deane,

Hope things get a little better for you soon.

Buying old tools has been one of my favorite ways to invest. They usually don't just sit around in my shop.

My buying has lately become more like yours. Just a few weeks ago I passed on a chisel that could have been a good user/money maker but it was one that would have been about the fifth duplicate of the size and would have been a bit of work to clean and make a new handle.

I have only had a few tools that didn't appreciate while hanging around my shop.

jtk