PDA

View Full Version : un level helix bed

Brie -Anne Bryan
10-01-2012, 3:59 PM
Hi Everyone.

I've been having a lot of problems with the bed on my helix lately. I've been able to level it but it keeps going back out of level. I've also noticed for whatever reason these days that when I move the bed up or down with the focus button that the machine makes a loud clunking noise. I'm going to assume that these two things are related and the reason the bed will not remain level. I am thinking somehow that the bed is not on the same thread on each side and that's the reason for the noise. Problem is I have no idea how to solve this problem. Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks!

Frank Corker
10-01-2012, 4:34 PM
I did have an issue with this once a long time ago. I opened up the front cover. Lower the bed gently down with the machine running to something (like a cardboard box) on one side so it just touches it. Then slide the box over to the other side and you will see if one side is higher or lower. Once you establish which side it is on you can make a manual adjustment. There are two belts running from left to right just above the base under the carriage. Ease the belt off gently on the right hand side (that's a little fiddly but it will go) from the round disc/grooved belt wheel. It will require a bit of dexterity but it will stretch over it. Reach in with your fingers and manually lower or raise one side using the toothed cog that the belt sits in. Once you have raised or lowered it to the point where the aforementioned box touches and you should find that the bed will be level. Slide the belt back over so that it sits in the toothed cog again and you should be done.

Brie -Anne Bryan
10-02-2012, 1:36 PM
Thanks for the info Frank.
I successfully got the bed to level...but I'm still having a problem with the bed making a loud clunking noise when I raise or lower it with the focus button. Over time this seems to be causing the bed to come unlevel again. Any ideas as to why this is occurring?

Gary Hair
10-02-2012, 2:08 PM
I'm not familiar with the motion system in your machine, but mine has four lead screws driven by a belt that raise and lower the bed. If they are not lubricated then it could be that one, or more, are sticking and causing the drive belt to slip. Raise the bed as high as it will go and lubricate the screws with lithium-soap based lube (or whatever your mfg recommends) and then lower the bed all the way. Lube them all again and raise the bed. Remove the excess buildup around the screw. If they are really bad you may have to clean them with denatured alcohol on a microfiber cloth before you lube them. Your setup may be different than mine, but it must have some bearing surface somewhere and it needs to be lubricated.

While you are at it, make sure than any place you have metal riding against metal, or a bearing of any kind, is cleaned and lubricated.

Gary

Brie -Anne Bryan
10-02-2012, 2:41 PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the suggestion. That did occur to me and everything is cleaned and freshly lubed. I'm starting to think it is the motor though. Has anyone had this part go?

Glen Monaghan
10-02-2012, 4:14 PM
A repetitive clunking noise (how frequently?) or one-time? Does the clunk happen at the same table height each time, or after the same amount of table motion? Check the gears and belts/chains to see if there's a tooth that is cracked and/or missing. A clunk makes me thing that a toothed belt or a gear is trying to turn but then pops back instead, as might happen if part of a tooth is missing somewhere. A gear or short belt would be more likely if it's a (frequently) repetitive sound, while a long belt would be suspect if the sound only happens infrequently or at a specific table height. Check the mesh points of belts and gears at whatever point there is a clunk. If the clunk only happens at the top or bottom of table travel, you might be running the bearing block off the end of a worm screw or something like that. And if it happens only at some other specific location, check for some obstruction at that height on which the table might be rubbing or snagging.

-Glen

Brie -Anne Bryan
10-02-2012, 5:22 PM
Found the culprit:P
Piece of rubber in one of the grooves. So simple but took me all afternoon to figure out! Don't you just love lasers? lol

Thanks for everyone's help!!