PDA

View Full Version : Want to test drive a rifle?

curtis rosche
10-01-2012, 3:00 PM
Ive been looking at a .338 lapua mag rifle for awhile, but I want to try one first before I buy one. How would I find someone who would let me try theirs? I dont know anyone who has one, and as far as I have found none of the local gun dealers have a test range.

Steve Meliza
10-01-2012, 3:30 PM
I'd contact a local gun club as you'll need to find a range to use anyways and they may have a member who will help you out.

Mac McQuinn
10-01-2012, 4:23 PM
If you were nearby I could probably talk a friend into letting you try his Lapua .338, I've shot it and it's a very accurate round. I would not shoot one unless it has a Muzzle brake though. Plus if you're going to fire a round or two, you need to give your fellow shooter's a heads-up beforehand as they are very loud. Best place to stand and watch is about 10 feet behind the shooter as the perimeter blast is quite strong blowing targets and misc. off benches next to you easily. Pricy to shoot I'm told, so you might want to get into hand loading.

Mac

Ive been looking at a .338 lapua mag rifle for awhile, but I want to try one first before I buy one. How would I find someone who would let me try theirs? I dont know anyone who has one, and as far as I have found none of the local gun dealers have a test range.

Scott Donley
10-01-2012, 5:36 PM
Join a gun club and spend some time getting to know the members and giving them a chance to know you. If they think your just a kid and want one because of the big gun cool factor and own no other firearms, it might be tough. I go to the range at least twice a week and have never seen anyone with one. Most go for the .375 for big game.

John Pratt
10-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Talk to your local game warden or game check station. They are usually on a first name basis with a lot of the regular hunters and might be able to point you in the right direction. Another place to go is the forums online. There are several dedicated just to long range and high power shooting weapons and you may be able to locate someone in your area.

David Weaver
10-02-2012, 10:25 AM
If you are not taking it west for 600 yard shots, I think when you get older you'll be sorry you bought it. Most people probably have no ethical business taking that shot, anyway.

When i was younger, I went through a phase where I wanted high case capacity rifles to reload and sit at the range, but at my age now, I wish I would've not bought them. I took them hunting back then, but in reality I didn't get anything out of them other than more muzzle blast.

Components are more, powder is more, recoil is more, to the point that either the recoil or muzzle blast (if you have a brake) will induce a flinch. And barrel life isn't great. And the muzzle brakes are extremely inconsiderate to other range-goers.

curtis rosche
10-02-2012, 4:22 PM
not all rifles are strictly for hunting,,,,,

David Weaver
10-02-2012, 4:52 PM
I agree, most of mine shot holes in paper. If you're going to do 1000 yard competitive shooting, it might make sense.

Patrick McCarthy
10-02-2012, 4:57 PM
True, and the only people I know using the .338 Lapau are snipers . . .

Scott Donley
10-02-2012, 6:03 PM
not all rifles are strictly for hunting,,,,,Curtus, really, in the past you were hot for a handgun,tactical firearm, and now the Lupua. IMHO you should get yourself a nice 22 pistol or rifle and learn the basics and safety using open sights first. Then go from there. My old 22 rifle will hit +10 at 100 yards and my old High Standard 22 will do it at 25. Join a gun club or at least a range. Good luck.

curtis rosche
10-02-2012, 7:42 PM
Curtus, really, in the past you were hot for a handgun,tactical firearm, and now the Lupua. IMHO you should get yourself a nice 22 pistol or rifle and learn the basics and safety using open sights first. Then go from there. My old 22 rifle will hit +10 at 100 yards and my old High Standard 22 will do it at 25. Join a gun club or at least a range. Good luck.

I already bought the .22, and a second rifle. I have a handgun picked out and waiting for the day I turn 21. only a few months left.
I am a member of the local range, but everytime I go there I barely ever see anyone there. We have a nice range and area for clays and archery.

Bill Cunningham
10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Big guns are fun, noisy, and expensive to buy as well as shoot. A friend of mine, who has since passed away, had bought a MacTac .50 (yes their legal in Canada..ha..)Due to the muzzle brake It was much harder on observers, than the actual shooter. But a Brit sniper with a lapua .338 just took the world record Taliban takeout shot (2,707 yd)from a Canadian sniper using the MacTac.50 (2,657 yd) Both being simply amazing shots..

Curt Fuller
10-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Here's a place where you could sign up to do some shooting, maybe even work your way up to the .338 lapua mag rifle. At lot of other good benefits too.
http://www.goarmy.com/locate-a-recruiter.html

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Curtis....Why the interest in that caliber?

I elk hunted for 16 years with 6 guys. 3 of us (including me) hunted with 338-06's. That's a 338 bullet on a 30-06 case. It tries really hard to act like a magnum up to a 250 grain bullet. 225 grain or less...it comes really close to the 338 Win Mag.

One guy hunted with a 338-8MM Mag....it took 2 of us to sight this rifle in...one to hold it down....and one to fire it..... It was a long range rifle that would " Reach out ....and touch someone....an elk that is".......

The bad part....we had to hand load as all were wildcats at the time.

Greg Peterson
10-02-2012, 11:58 PM
I recently bought a Henry lever action .22. Love it for the following reasons: ammo is inexpensive, no recoil, 15 rounds in the tube magazine, very accurate and it is simply fun to shoot.

When I want some serious recoil and noise, I load up the Mossberg 500 tactical shoot gun and let loose for a half dozen rounds or so. I think the single word that best describes the Mossberg is 'violent'.

Most college students I've known barely had the cash to eat a decent meal let alone buy a sniper rifle.

Kevin W Johnson
10-03-2012, 1:22 AM
If you were nearby I could probably talk a friend into letting you try his Lapua .338, I've shot it and it's a very accurate round. I would not shoot one unless it has a Muzzle brake though. Plus if you're going to fire a round or two, you need to give your fellow shooter's a heads-up beforehand as they are very loud. Best place to stand and watch is about 10 feet behind the shooter as the perimeter blast is quite strong blowing targets and misc. off benches next to you easily. Pricy to shoot I'm told, so you might want to get into hand loading.

Mac

The muzzle brake will only enhance the noise too. I have a Winchester model 70 in .270 with the BOSS that they once offered. The BOSS makes for a very accurate rifle when tuned, but it does increase the noise. They made a solid version, which I did order, but I haven't ever tried it out.

John Fabre
10-03-2012, 2:26 AM
Wasn't this sniper rifle used on "Top Shot"?

Mac McQuinn
10-03-2012, 1:45 PM
Kevin,
My comment about the Muzzle brake was to imply the round has a pretty serious recoil/kick to it and I would not be comfortable in shooting the rifle w/o one.
Mac

The muzzle brake will only enhance the noise too. I have a Winchester model 70 in .270 with the BOSS that they once offered. The BOSS makes for a very accurate rifle when tuned, but it does increase the noise. They made a solid version, which I did order, but I haven't ever tried it out.

curtis rosche
10-03-2012, 5:24 PM
Curtis....Why the interest in that caliber?

accurate, big, but not as big or costly as the .50,
I didnt know about the 338-06 or 8mm, how were those accurate wise and fun of shooting?

Kevin W Johnson
10-03-2012, 6:22 PM
Kevin,
My comment about the Muzzle brake was to imply the round has a pretty serious recoil/kick to it and I would not be comfortable in shooting the rifle w/o one.
Mac

Yeah, I got that. I wouldn't want to shoot it with out one either. You pointed out the fact the round is loud, and I merely added that a muzzle brake will make a loud round even louder in case Curtis was unaware.

Steve Meliza
10-03-2012, 8:41 PM
If you're looking for accuracy and are interested in competition check out the articles located here: http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html Note that they do have some good info on 7mm and do mention considerations such as barrel life and recoil.