PDA

View Full Version : Computer desk ideas ...

Tony Falotico
05-03-2003, 1:15 PM
New 'puter's been shipped, :D arriving next week and I want to build a desk. Looking for plans / Ideas for an L shape corner unit. One leg for computer, the other for a desk to write / study / read at. Kinda like what you might see in a cubicle. Drawers, shelves, cabinet doors are all negotiable at this point. It goes in a spare bedroom dedicated to the computer, so size is not a factor. Don't want anything elegant or massive looking, clean simple contemporary lines preferred.

Any ideas / suggestions / pictures / links to plans will be appreciated.

Ken Garlock
05-03-2003, 2:06 PM
Hi Tony, I don't have any recommendations for plans, but I suggest a trip to Office Depot or Office Max. You can get an idea of what people are doing for the commercial market, and take it from there.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I bought a corner unit from Office Depot. The top is 1" MDF, and it has been holding up a 21" monitor for several years without any visible problem.

Just a thought....

Tony Falotico
05-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Checked out Lowe's today, they had a couple corner units but didn't like the layouts. I don't want all the fancy 'stuff' on the desk top, you know the cubby's, shelves, small drawers.

I'm thinking, two 6' to 8 ft formica counter tops with 45 degree ends mounted to the wall to form the 'L' shape, cabinet for computer, printer & misc on one end; cabinet with two file drawers .... perhaps a corner unit ? ; Another cabinet with bookcase or drawers or doors to hold up other end. Keyboard tray slides from under counter. Nothing directly on counter top, but simple unit(s) with shelves, cubby's, and/or small drawers, mounted directly to the wall above ..........

Still kinda cloudy but semblance of a picture beginning to come through........

any ideas anyone ???

John Schreiber
05-04-2003, 12:54 AM
No specific ideas, but I'd pay a lot of attention to how the desk will deal with issues like where all the cables and wires will run, where will power come from, line conditioner/surge protector, how hard will it be to plug something in to the back of the computer tower, where will speakers hide, do you want to be able to unplug the whole shebang in an electrical storm, etc.

I've seen very nice furniture which looks just awful because some of these things weren't thought through.

I saw a very nice installation that had what looked like a brush along the back of the desk between the desk surface and the back wall. It made space for all the cables without creating a place to loose pencils and paperclips.

Phil Phelps
05-04-2003, 9:34 AM
Tony, I built my wife a "sewing room" a few months ago. I had to utilize every square inch of a 12.5x12.5 room. I've made several corner desks for office applications and, the corner is the best place for the deep monitor. Legs are in the back. Of course a plasma screen wouldn't take as much room :p She didn' t want a sepreate compartment for the hard drive, so it sits on a laminate box next to the drawers. (Notice the printer is still on the floor. She doesn't want it on the counter) As Ken said (he has way too much time on his hands these days) good ideas are gained by looking in the Office stores. I don't make my tops with a 45 angle. I glue a dutchman on the underside and nail it. Cover the top with laminate and, it supports the weight, well.

Tony Falotico
05-04-2003, 1:35 PM
Originally posted by John Schreiber
No specific ideas, but I'd pay a lot of attention to how the desk will deal with issues like where all the cables and wires will run, where will power come from, line conditioner/surge protector, how hard will it be to plug something in to the back of the computer tower, where will speakers hide, do you want to be able to unplug the whole shebang in an electrical storm, etc.

I hear ya John, that's why I'm building it. Current desk has a slot for the CPU, but I have to pull the whole unit away from the wall to get to the cables. All the cubbies and shelves are nice, but they destroy counter space. You are correct, they look nice but functionally they leave a lot to be desired.

PHIL: You got the idea! That's somewhat what I want, wood trimmed laminate top, with assorted cabinets underneath to hold it up and store the 'stuff". This is pretty close to what I'm thinking http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/compdeskcloser.html may just order this plan and go for it (with slight modifications of course!).

BTW, I went with the Flat Panel monitor (Gloat, Gloat!). :D

Phil Phelps
05-04-2003, 6:38 PM
Originally posted by Tony Falotico
BTW, I went with the Flat Panel monitor (Gloat, Gloat!). :D [/B]
You suck Tony. I hate you.:p :D

Glen Smith
05-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Tony Falotico
This is pretty close to what I'm thinking http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/compdeskcloser.html may just order this plan and go for it (with slight modifications of course!).

BTW, I went with the Flat Panel monitor (Gloat, Gloat!). :D

Be carefull with the plans now site, they will charge you $9.50 for the plans, but you can order WoodSmith #109 for about $5. Shipping may affect the final price depending on hardcopy or download.

Glen Smith

Mark Hulette
05-05-2003, 1:43 PM
Tony-
A computer desk is on my list of projects (but pretty far down the list) so I've been thinking about some of the features as you have been doing.

The computer desk that Norm made does have some nice ideas although it's not a corner unit. The thing I like probably the most is the cabinet for the CPU that has a false front that looks like drawers but is actually a solid piece that opens to show the CPU on a full-extension drawer to ease access to all those cables and the back of the unit. On the other side there's a similar setup for the printer.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of the finished product!

Dr. Zack Jennings
05-05-2003, 6:48 PM
On my last upgrade they put the CPU in a bigger box. If you or anyone else reading this is building storage space for the CPU....leave extra room. Mines is on top of the desk now.

Tony Falotico
05-05-2003, 9:15 PM
Much to my surprize the big brown truck pulled up at 6:00 pm with the NEW 'PUTER. WOW, I wasn't expecting it till later this week. I was still waiting on the tracking number!!

Anyway, she's looking good, the LCD flat panel sure is easier on these old eyes. Even Dr. Zack is looking better !! :D

Now I need to get the desk built!

Dr. Zack, I don't plan on putting the CPU into the cabinet, will place a shelf about 3-5 inches above the floor to place it on.

Sometimes Life sure is good!

Hal Peeler
05-06-2003, 9:18 AM
Check a web site called computerfurnituredirect.com. They'll send you a catalog of their furniture. I got some good ideas from it but still haven't put them to work yet. Hope this helps.
Hal

Bert Johansen
08-29-2003, 4:02 PM
Just a thought. I personally would avoid putting the CPU box inside any cubbyhole, even if it has full extension slides. Here are my reasons:

1. Heat is the worst enemy for computers. It will shorten the life of your hard drive and especially your CPU. Some folks install extra fans inside the box to maximize cooling. Putting the CPU box inside a wooden box--even if it is vented--will substantially increase the temperature inside the box.

2. You will have occasion to get to the cables in the back of the box--more often than you care to admit. Super PITA to have to slide the box out and even then access is poor.

3. You will need routine access to the front of the box for CDs, floppies, DVDs. A door just slows the whole process down.

4. Form factor for the boxes varies all over the place. I have dozens of computers in my business, and some are huge and some are the size of a medium-sized book. Your desk will be in place for many years, and whatever you plan for today will be obsolete tomorrow.

Here's something I have thought about for years now, but haven't implemented. The front panel on a computer can be removed. How about creating a custom front panel that matches the decor of your desk? It could be a real eye-opener.

Bert

Bart Leetch
08-29-2003, 6:10 PM
This desk was made out of black melamine with oak trim. The tower was put in the right base cabinet however the back was left open so it stays cool, the CD & floppy drawer is in the top of this base. I think you could oversize the area & use the rest of the area for shelves. The left side of this desk is 3 2 drawer file drawers sections in one cabinet used for the files of former apartment residents. The top part is 16 8" x 11" cubby holes.