PDA

View Full Version : Stanley plane type question

Cody Cantrell
10-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I recently got a Stanley 5 1/2 for my classroom and according to the type study (the flow chart one) it is supposed to be a type 15. But it has features from later types and earlier types. It does not have the ribs cast at the toe and heel, made in USA is cast behind the knob, No. 5 1/2 is cast on the heel, it has the kidney shaped lever cap hole. I was just wondering if all bets were off with the fractional models, regardless its still a great user plane, thanks for any input.

Cody

Cody Cantrell
10-01-2012, 11:17 AM
It also has stanley stamped on the back side of the lateral adjustment lever. The only thing that keeps it from being a type 19 on the flow chart is the lack of ribs cast into the toe and heel.

Greg Wease
10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Remember that the type studies are for the #4 and there are differences for the other sizes, not just fractional ones. Types 15 and 16 seem to blend together for some, especially the 5 1/2s that I have seen. Does it have the 2 1/4 or 2 3/8" iron?

Jim Koepke
10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
+1 on what Greg says.

To me the ability of the plane to be used with controllable results is more important than type.

If there were old parts on hand when a new design (type) came in to use, the old parts were used as needed.

This is why there is type blending on some of the less common planes.

jtk

Cody Cantrell
10-01-2012, 1:07 PM
It has the 2 3/8" iron. Being a specific type does not matter so much I'm just a nerd for knowledge. I was not aware the type studies were for #4's I probably had read that but had forgotten.

Jim Koepke
10-01-2012, 3:22 PM
It was the possibly the most common model. This made it easy to find with information on when it was bought and also made it less susceptible to type overlap.

jtk

Greg Wease
10-01-2012, 9:46 PM
The 2 3/8" iron was used from 1939 to 1958 when this size was discontinued. This sure helps if you wanted to purchase a replacement iron. I don't know when (or if) the toe and heel ribs were added. It would be nice to have a list of the differences between the #4 type studies and other sizes. Too bad Stanley didn't build per the type studies!