PDA

View Full Version : Bolt for a handle?

steven c newman
10-01-2012, 8:53 AM
I have a #130 look-a-like, might be a Sargent-made. Knob bolt had rusted enough that it snapped off when I tried to remove it. Wound up having to drill out the little bit down in the hole. Per George Wilson, I modified a tap into a "second" tap"and drilled a #7 hole into the boss, taking out the old bolt. Knew I was getting that out, rust was coming up out of the hole. Tapped the new 1/4"x 20 threads. Now the question is....... which type of bolt to use?:confused:242098the shiny Steel one? Or,242099the shiny Brass one? :D

george wilson
10-01-2012, 8:57 AM
I doubt it matters on that plane. Steel is stronger,even if it is junky,lead based steel. Polish off the plating and it won't be so shiny.

Adam Neat
10-01-2012, 9:24 AM
I would go for the brass, looks nice with the wood

steven c newman
10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Maybe I should have made this into a Poll? I also have a few other handles to work on, this week...242118Have to turn a knob for this little guy, to match the new tote. I also have a #120 with an UGLY looking Bakelite knob, I will have to make a REAL wood knob for it. That Savage #6 might get new wood for handles. Maybe some Walnut for it?

Matthew N. Masail
10-01-2012, 5:27 PM
I vote for steel. the brass looks out of place with the rest of the plane.

steven c newman
10-02-2012, 9:05 AM
Votes so far: two for the Steel bolt, one for the Brass bolt. "Two-tone" vs "Three-tone". Looks like it will be a Black and Chrome Plane. Unless more votes come in...

Kenneth Speed
10-02-2012, 4:17 PM
My theory is that brass bolts and nuts were used in places which would be especially sensitive to rust, such as plane knobs and totes. It seems to me that your experience bears my theory out. Why would you want to use a steel bolt and lay the groundwork for the same problem all over again? If you have a choice, use brass.

Ken

steven c newman
10-03-2012, 3:57 PM
Looks like it is now 2 each. Two for the Brass, and two for the Steel bolt. Hmmm, I do have another sargent block plane coming in the mail, without a knob. Loser of this vote will go there, i guess.....