PDA

View Full Version : What about the 21 ga nailer?

Rich Engelhardt
10-01-2012, 7:42 AM
Anyone using one?

Good choice for something in between an 18 ga brad and 23 ga pin or sort of an odd man out?

I have three or four 18 ga and a PC 23 ga right now. I was reading an article about how the 21 ga falls about right in the middle.
I did run into an issue w/some 1/2" plywood where the 18 ga was "too much" and the 23 ga. "not enough".
I was making a box to store my Festool 55" tracks in and had the issue when I glued up the rabbeted edges. The 18 ga sort of split the wood in places and the 23 ga didn't have enough "grab" to hold things in place while the glue set.
I could have sworn I saw an inexpensive one in a Harbor Freight ad - but - it may also have been somewhere else.

I really don't want to drop big bucks on a good one if it's something that's not going to get used a lot just to try it out.

glenn bradley
10-01-2012, 8:31 AM
I have had one for years and find no fault with it. I don't use it where things show so the fact that 21ga is easier to see than 23ga is not an issue for me. I bought the one Woodcraft had on sale 7 or 8 years ago and it has never given me any problems. I do keep it properly oiled and cleaned.

Peter Kuhlman
10-01-2012, 8:53 AM
Maybe I am not very observant. I know my wife will agree to that!
I have never heard of or seen 21 gauge nails or guns and this is the first mention of such I have come across. Would think finding nails might be an issue!

Curt Harms
10-01-2012, 5:26 PM
I have never heard of or seen 21 gauge nails or guns and this is the first mention of such I have come across. Would think finding nails might be an issue!

That would be my concern as well. I know Woodcraft was selling 21 ga. guns a few years ago. It would be worth asking a few questions. Maybe somebody like Fastenal or McFeelys have them if Woodcraft doesn't?

glenn bradley
10-01-2012, 6:19 PM

The Orange and Blue BORGs carry them. They are no more uncommon than 16ga. Its just that a lot of folks run 18ga and 23ga. I do agree that we sometimes look right past stuff when we are not directly concerned with it; I know I do . . . a lot :D

Rich Riddle
10-01-2012, 7:18 PM
Cadex makes one, the Cadex CPB 21.50, but they're mighty proud of it. I have used one that belongs to a friend and it works great. It's quite a bit stronger than the 23 gauge nailer (mine is a Grex), but much easier to hide the holes than an 18 gauge nailer. I believe in crying once and buying the best and not having to worry about dealing with the issue again later. You can always mail order the nails. Good luck.

Joe Samorodin
10-01-2012, 8:58 PM
I have the Cadex 21 gauge and the 18 and 23 don't get used all that often now. Having the pin and brad option is great plus the wide range of size is great for 1 nailer
NOTE: The Cadex brad and pins seem to run truer then generic types and the cost is no more sometimes even less then 23 gauge I have no idea why. If you need to rely
on your pins hitting home the first time the cadex or grex are the ones.