PDA

View Full Version : Collaboration bowls

Scott Lux
09-30-2012, 11:09 PM
The nice lady who gave me a lathe last month had asked that I finish a couple of bowls she had started. Of course I would. She had done these during a class at the local Woodcraft in 2004. One (Walnut I suspect) she had turned to final thickness but not parted off the tenon or finished. The other (Silver Maple?) was roughed out green.

I started with the walnut. It needed only some sanding, although if there had been a little more thickness, I would like to have taken a scraper to it to clean up some tool marks. For her first bowl, I thought it the work was impressive. As I was parting it off leaving what I thought was the perfect amount of foot, I tried to make the outside smaller than the inside. :mad: I have lots of walnut and was able to patch it, but I'm not happy with it, There wasn't enough meat left to sand the patch flush to the bowl, and I sanded through the middle of the patch trying. :mad::mad: So I patched the patch with sawdust and CA and called it done. I would not have gone to that much effort, but it was not my bowl. I felt I owed it to Denise to do the best I could.

The maple was a breeze, and no mishaps. I tried to preserve the shape she had roughed out. It happens to be a shape I like anyway, so that helps. :)

Walnut is 6.5" x 2.75" and less than 1/4" thin finished with tung oil. It weighs only 3.5 ounces!!! Maple is 6.5" x 3.5" and 3/8" - 1/2" thick finished with WTF. It's my first piece with wtf. I like it a lot.

Comments and Critiques welcome.

Scott Lux
09-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Two more pics to show the repairs. :(

Michelle Rich
10-01-2012, 6:29 AM
I like the last bowl..nice ratio of foot to rim and a tiny ogee curve. Looks like it would be comfy to hold

Thom Sturgill
10-01-2012, 7:04 AM
Scott, I'm sure she will treasure these, both because of her own link to them and because of your work.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2012, 7:32 AM
Nice work on both bowls Scott! I really like the Walnut - and for the same reasons Michelle listed I am sure Denise will love them!

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-01-2012, 8:13 AM
I really like the maple bowl. It's no secret I am fond of calabash shaped bowls. This one is unique because it closes in so dramatically at the top. The sanding and finish you did look great. The picture shows what looks like a flat unfinished area surrounding the foot. I can't figure out if that is a photographic anomaly or turned that way.
faust

Scott Lux
10-01-2012, 8:44 AM
Faust, it's a little bit of both. I don't know why, but the finish went on very differently when I turned it around. Perhaps I should have finished this one off the lathe.

Jim Burr
10-01-2012, 9:13 AM
I keep looking at the walnut...the shape really draws me in. Big pat on the back on the repair job...ya done good!