PDA

View Full Version : Last covered bridge in our area was almost destroyed.

Raymond Fries
09-30-2012, 4:20 PM
A truck driver nearly destroyed a piece of our history. :( Spencerrville is not far from Fort Wayne. A co-worker told me his brothrer saw the the incident and said the driver kept on going. He chased the driver down and told him he had just called 911 and suggested that he return to the scene which he did. Estimates for the repairs could reach $300,000.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/local/Spencerville-Covered-Bridge-Damaged-171390411.html

The driver said that GPS toldl him to go that way, however, the sign clearly said 12'6" clearance.

Hope they fix it up like it was as it is a piece of our history.

Jim Koepke
09-30-2012, 4:57 PM
The driver said that GPS toldl him to go that way, however, the sign clearly said 12'6" clearance.

It is amazing people will listen to their little electronic devices instead of what is right before their eyes.

For me a good map is much better than some disembodied voice.

My wife is "map challenged." She complained and requested that I get the "Google Driving Directions" instead. Recently we went to Portland, OR for a particular purchase and ended up driving all over the place because the "Google Driving Directions" were wrong.

With a map, at least it is easy to figure out how to get back on track if a turn is missed.

As long as maps are available I will likely not need a GPS.

jtk

Larry Edgerton
09-30-2012, 7:48 PM
I refuse to allow GPS on one of my infrequent [lately] trips. Half the fun is being lost and seeing new things you did not know were there.

But thats just my take on it......

Larry

ray hampton
09-30-2012, 8:33 PM
I refuse to allow GPS on one of my infrequent [lately] trips. Half the fun is being lost and seeing new things you did not know were there.

But thats just my take on it......

Larry

If everybody can remember to call your local fire station for directions , they would not get lost

Curt Harms
10-01-2012, 4:29 PM
That seems to be a semi-regular occurence in this area -- Bucks & Montgomery Counties. The same problem, somebody has too high a load. At least I haven't heard of damage from a too heavy load which seems like it would be more difficult to repair. And yeah, GPS sometimes comes up with 'interesting' routings, doesn't it?

Dave Lehnert
10-01-2012, 6:15 PM
The exact same problem near Cincinnati.
A large truck drove through the bridge damaging the floor beams. It has been closed for 2 or 3 years now.
15 or 20 years ago a garbage truck drove over the bridge and fell through the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJv9A0vgrLs

Kevin W Johnson
10-01-2012, 7:40 PM
Where I grew up, we have Humpback Bridge. It's the oldest covered bridge in VA, and the only arched bridge in VA, and some believe the only remaining arched bridge in the US. Thankfully, damage from traffic is impossible now thanks to boulders that prevent access. Here is a picture I took of the bridge in late November of '07 in both B&W and the original in color.

Kevin Bourque
10-01-2012, 7:49 PM
That seems to be a semi-regular occurence in this area -- Bucks & Montgomery Counties. The same problem, somebody has too high a load. At least I haven't heard of damage from a too heavy load which seems like it would be more difficult to repair. And yeah, GPS sometimes comes up with 'interesting' routings, doesn't it?

Are you familiar with Hanging Rock on Gulf road in King of Prussia? It's not a bridge, but a huge rock that once hung over Gulf road when Washington marched his troops to Valley Forge. Today, it's been hit by so many trucks over the decades it's hardly noticeable.